John Wentworth

Default Anyone know about voltage regulators ??

Go to http://www.type2.com/library/electrip/vreg.htm

"Gary Warner" wrote in message

Our boat has a generator (instead of an altenator) and
a voltage regulator. The VR is putting out very low
voltage. I believe it can be adjusted. I might also just
buy one. But I'd like to learn about them anyway.

It would be great if anyone knows of a web-site
or book that describes how these work.

Some specific questions:

+ There are "Field" and "Armature" connections that
run to (from?) the generator. What do these do?
I'm guessing they are some type of "feedback" loop
with the generator?

+ I've been told that one must "polarize" the voltage
regulator. There are some faded instructions on the
top of my VR for this. But what does it do and when
must it be done?

+ If I decide to just buy a new voltage-regulator...
my current one is "mechanical" in that it has coils
and "points type" contacts that move. Do they
now make solid state voltage gerulators where
all of this is done with circuits in silicon??

OK, thanks for any help, tips, info., etc.

Gary