Randy Ross

Default Merc 470 voltage

My 1982 Searay with a Merc 470 has been getting fluctuations in the volt
meter on the helm. Below 1200 RPM it shows to be slightly discharging. But
when I get higher RPM than that it overcharges. I haven't overhaeted the
engine or anything to ruin the voltage regulator and have had no battery or
other electrical problems since it started. Voltage regulator or something
else? And is there any real problem with it overcharging for short period of
time? I turn everything on electrical I can when this happens.

Randy Ross

I'll do it this week. In series at the battery or where?
"Stanley Barthfarkle" wrote in message
news
Try a handheld digital multimeter. Bet your guage is off.

"Randy Ross" wrote in message
. ..
I have to assume so as it does the same thing each time out... discharge

at
low spped and overchargeat high sppeds
"Stanley Barthfarkle" wrote in message
Are you sure that the volt meter is accurate?

"Randy Ross" wrote in message
news My 1982 Searay with a Merc 470 has been getting fluctuations in the

volt
meter on the helm. Below 1200 RPM it shows to be slightly

discharging.
But
when I get higher RPM than that it overcharges. I haven't overhaeted

the
engine or anything to ruin the voltage regulator and have had no

battery
or
other electrical problems since it started. Voltage regulator or

something
else? And is there any real problem with it overcharging for short

period
of
time? I turn everything on electrical I can when this happens.

Stanley Barthfarkle

Pretty bad. Your voltage is not being regulated properly, and you're likely
to cook, at least, your batteries, if not also your electronics, engine
electrical, etc. I'd get it fixed before running it.

"Randy Ross" wrote in message
news
I checked and at 2000 RPM I'm at 17.75. How bad is this?
"Stanley Barthfarkle" wrote in message
gy.com...
In parallel, anywhere in line with the main power feed, or at the

battery.
If it doesn't go much above 14 volts, you aren't overcharging.

"Randy Ross" wrote in message
. ..
I'll do it this week. In series at the battery or where?
"Stanley Barthfarkle" wrote in message
news Try a handheld digital multimeter. Bet your guage is off.

. ..