John S

Default Follow up on overseas customer service problems

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 14:39:37 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

I trimmed your original post for brevity.

I was a loyal AT&T wireless customer for about 8 or 9 years. I have
now switched to Cingular.

As you are aware, Cingular has purchased AT&T wireless.

Originally, AT&T wireless was analog and then switched to CDMA. The
newest and most widely used worldwide technology is GSM as you
mentioned. AT&T didn't even offer GSM until the last couple of years
(at least I don't think so). Cingular is and always has been GSM only
(another I think so).

When it came time to shop for new phones, I considered AT&T as being
the red headed stepchild of Cingular. The revenues generated by both
AT&T and Cingular will most likely have a portion alloted for
improving the Cingular system whereas the AT&T division will probably
receive little if any monies for capital improvements.

I found I could cut my cellular phone bill a substantial amount by
switching to Cingular.

I have not needed to talk to cusomer service so can't comment if
Cingular uses out of country support.

So far, I have been quite happy with Cingular GSM. More areas are
coming on line in the near future and I was told by the salesman (if
you can believe him) that Cingular will start using the AT&T towers as
the merger continues. (The CDMA and some remote analog towers will be
converted to include GSM)

In most business acquisitions, the Buyer eventually converts their
acquisitions to their business model. Redundant jobs are eliminated
and assets reallocated to serve the primary business. In the case we
are discussing, that would be Cingular getting the benefit and AT&T
the short end of the stick.

Just as a suggestion, have a look on the internet at what AT&T offers
versus Cingular in the way of calling plans. I think you will find the
Cingular plans less expensive and the $175 you would have to forfeit
for early cancellation might be offset within a short time by
switching to Cingular.

AT&T
http://www.attwireless.com/index_a.j...equestid=53812

Cingular
http://www.cingular.com/

Good luck.

BTW, for an extra amount of money, you might be able to purchase a
tri-band phone that will bridge the gap in GSM coverage if it is
really important to stay connected wherever you travel. A tri-band
phone is capable of analog, CDMA, and GSM so more towers are
available.

Regards
John S

Remove nospam from email address
John S

wrote:

[...]

John, you live in an area far more densely populated than I do, and I'm
sure virtually everywhere you go in Alexandria and in those parts of
Fairfax County you probe have decent GSM coverage from ATT/Cingular.

My ATT GSM coverage was decent in downtown DC, but not great. And it
really fell off in many of the office buildings I have to visit.
Further, down where I live, GSM coverage, whether ATT or Cingular (my
ATT GSM phone roams onto Cingular where it is available), is really
spotty. No coverage at all at the marina, which is not a surprise,
considering it is at the base of a long downhill run.

I used to have ATT TDMA One Rate, and it was pretty decent, but ATT
Wireless is not expanding that line.

My wife has Verizon cellular. It works just about everywhere in downtown
DC, including IN THE METRO Tunnels!!!!, and in most office buildings.
And Verizon coverage is very good where I live.

So, I've switched to Verizon. I've already made one call to Verizon tech
support...and the tech was in Laurel, Maryland, and spoke perfect English.

The price is the same as my ATT GSM account.

Good Choice! Verizon is also a top notch company. I think what
delights me most is you took some action and made a change.

Consumers should not have to tolerate poor service from any company
they deal with.

Congrats on helping the consumer cause.

Regards
John S