Harry Krause

Default Glorious day on the Chesapeake Bay!

JohnH wrote:
Met HiTider (a new fishing buddy) at Harbor Cove Marina in Deale at 6:30, and by
7:45 we had dropped a line in the water at the Gooses. By 8:00 HiTider had
pulled in the first fish, an 18" rockfish that was allowed to get a little
bigger. Soon thereafter I managed an 18" croaker on a piece of shrimp laying on
the bottom.

We were soon joined by Giant Tuna (out of Chesapeake Beach), who proceeded to
show us what fishing was all about! (Personally, I think he anchored over a
sunken fish trap!). GT and his buddy from Atlanta, Earl (I think), started
pulling in the big guys and making us green with envy. By about 10 we had put
three in the cooler, a couple 20"ers and a 22"er, so HiTider and I weren't
feeling too badly. But...Giant Tuna is sitting only 50 yards away throwing back
30"ers 'cause they've already limited on the over 28's! They're catching all
these huge fish and whining that they can't get something small to keep. (In the
Chesapeake Bay, the limit is two rockfish per person, both over 18", but only
one can be over 28".)

Luckily, GT offered to share a bit of his fresh bait and expertise with us. We
moved a little closer to him, tried his technique, and within 10 minutes put a
26"er (or thereabouts) in the cooler. We piddled around, caught a few more
keepers (which we couldn't keep), and came in around 12:30.

What a great time! Met some fine folks, weather was spectacular, limited out,
what more could one want???

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD,
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

Something other than stripers and croakers?

Your help needed - Chesapeake Bay John H General 1 June 9th 04 08:07 PM
Chesapeake Light IBNFSHN General 1 May 15th 04 01:00 PM
Glorious Chesapeake Bay Day! John H General 22 April 25th 04 03:26 PM
north chesapeake cruising? SrScubalot General 7 October 9th 03 11:26 PM