Mike and Kathy

Default mooring size

I have a 19 foot bow rider, weight ~2500 lbs. How heavy should a mooring be
for this boat?

Mike

Jim Carter

"Mike and Kathy" wrote in message
I have a 19 foot bow rider, weight ~2500 lbs. How heavy should a mooring

be
for this boat?
Mike

Hi Mike: If you are using a mushroom anchor of at least 200 lb. and 50
feet of 7/8 chain you should be just fine for a permanent mooring. If you
are using concrete block system with the chain, I would suggest a block of
1000 to 1200 lb.

James D. Carter, Port Captain, GLCC
"The Boat"
Bayfield

Mike and Kathy

Thanks Jim, What makes a mushroom anchor so much more effective?

"Jim Carter" wrote in message
.cable.rogers.com...

"Mike and Kathy" wrote in message
I have a 19 foot bow rider, weight ~2500 lbs. How heavy should a

mooring
be
for this boat?
Mike

Hi Mike: If you are using a mushroom anchor of at least 200 lb. and 50
feet of 7/8 chain you should be just fine for a permanent mooring. If

you
are using concrete block system with the chain, I would suggest a block of
1000 to 1200 lb.

James D. Carter, Port Captain, GLCC
"The Boat"
Bayfield

Ken Heaton

Mushroom anchors only work well in mud bottoms where they bury/work their
way down into the mud. Once they are well buried they are extremely
difficult to remove. Think of rubber boots in mud and the suction that
pulls them off your feet. If you have a sand or rocky bottom you'll have to
go with the concrete block or some other arrangement.
--
Ken Heaton & Anne Tobin
Cape Breton Island, Canada

"Mike and Kathy" wrote in message
Thanks Jim, What makes a mushroom anchor so much more effective?

"Jim Carter" wrote in message
.cable.rogers.com...

"Mike and Kathy" wrote in message
I have a 19 foot bow rider, weight ~2500 lbs. How heavy should a

mooring
be
for this boat?
Mike

Hi Mike: If you are using a mushroom anchor of at least 200 lb. and 50
feet of 7/8 chain you should be just fine for a permanent mooring. If

you
are using concrete block system with the chain, I would suggest a block

of
1000 to 1200 lb.

James D. Carter, Port Captain, GLCC
"The Boat"
Bayfield

Bowgus

And my experience with a 19' daysailor in a occasional high wind location
.... if you're in silt/mud, a coupla cheap concrete blocks will work their
way down and become just a stuck.

"Ken Heaton" wrote in message
Mushroom anchors only work well in mud bottoms where they bury/work their
way down into the mud. Once they are well buried they are extremely
difficult to remove. Think of rubber boots in mud and the suction that
pulls them off your feet. If you have a sand or rocky bottom you'll have

go with the concrete block or some other arrangement.
--
Ken Heaton & Anne Tobin
Cape Breton Island, Canada
kenheaton AT ess wye dee DOT eastlink DOT ca

"Mike and Kathy" wrote in message
Thanks Jim, What makes a mushroom anchor so much more effective?

"Jim Carter" wrote in message
.cable.rogers.com...

"Mike and Kathy" wrote in message
I have a 19 foot bow rider, weight ~2500 lbs. How heavy should a

mooring
be
for this boat?
Mike

Hi Mike: If you are using a mushroom anchor of at least 200 lb. and

50
feet of 7/8 chain you should be just fine for a permanent mooring.

If
you
are using concrete block system with the chain, I would suggest a

block
of
1000 to 1200 lb.

James D. Carter, Port Captain, GLCC
"The Boat"
Bayfield

Gould 0738

Will it be necessary for the singles to
display their mooring techniques and equipment in order to compete?

Everyday, 5 Singles with the Most Votes Win a free 1 month upgrade.
This is a Daily Contest, so you have multiple chances to win. Only
votes for today, count to be one of tonight's winners. If you win, you
will be notified via email, and your account will be upgraded.

http://www.cuteandsingle.com/winners.cgi

What size kicker? Matt Lang General 6 May 22nd 04 09:49 PM
mooring anchors Parallax General 5 October 14th 03 05:05 PM
Need help Properller size Mercruiser Alpha One minhxn General 6 July 16th 03 01:43 PM
How to use mooring whips? JS General 4 July 13th 03 11:24 PM
non harbor Mooring rules or permits Southern California, need info countyloc General 2 July 13th 03 08:06 AM