basskisser

Default OT only Republicans dumb enough to believe BushCo

Question, do you righties actually believe all of the drivel that
BushCo is lying about?

JON CARROLL

Jon Carroll
Thursday, June 24, 2004

It was interesting to watch the Bush administration implode as I was
making my fossil-fueled trek across these United States. I was mostly
out of touch with that darned liberal media -- although some states,
like Wyoming, have unexpectedly good NPR stations -- so I picked up
the bulk of my data from USA Today and local newspapers.

The red states are getting exasperated with Bush. He's not the small-
government cautious-foreign-policy compassionate conservative that
they voted for, and he's almost beyond the benefit of the doubt now.
It may be true that, despite sophisticated Rovian techniques, you
still can't fool all of the people all of the time.

Meanwhile, the lies proliferated at such a rate that my eyeballs began
wobbling. In between the lies were the censored reports, the
high-level employees firing bazookas at their former employers, the
explosive congressional testimonies. Democrats didn't even have to
show up; the GOP brandished a sword and forced itself to walk the
plank. You go, guys.

Even worse: Not only were they billionaire-coddling
environment-wrecking, civilian-killing blowhards, they were inept
billionaire-coddling, environment- wrecking, civilian-killing
blowhards.

For instance: They knew they were going to invade Iraq all along, and
yet they had no plan for how to govern the damn place after they
conquered it. Then, realizing belatedly that they had no plan, they
decided to blow vast quantities of smoke and polish up their mirrors.

They airlifted a whole bunch of guys to Guantanamo and held them
illegally for two years, and they weren't even the right guys. They
hired Halliburton to make Iraq run better, and Halliburton responded
by robbing us blind. You'd think, seeing as how it was Cheney in
command, they could have gone a little easy on the graft, but no.
Steal while the stealing is good; it's the first rule of
kleptocracies.

You can't tell the scandals without a scorecard -- that's not a figure
of speech; that's true. Such a wonderful roll call: Cheney and
Halliburton, Wolfowitz and Chalabi, Rumsfeld and torture, Ashcroft and
detainees, you name it. That 2004 platform is coming into focus
nicely.

I suppose I should be taking more joy in seeing my enemies squirm, but
actually I'm not. I am a citizen of the United States. I am proud of
much of what it has done in its history. I am an admirer of its
Constitution. I want it to succeed.

And as I was driving across the open spaces, staring at America's
mighty horizons, I thought about the small people running the big
country. I'd say that most of the members of the Bush administration
are deeply silly people. They're stupidly ambitious and crudely
avaricious. They like combat in a way that no one who has ever
experienced combat could like it. They want quick payoffs; they like
easy answers. They give Christianity a bad name -- lots of very good
Christians do not think that "because God told me so" is a real good
reason for whatever actions ambition dictates.

And, like the most petty schoolyard narcissists, they want to be right
all the time. They want to be above criticism. They don't have
regrets; they have excuses. The dog ate my country.

A glossy new version of "The Manchurian Candidate" is going to be
released in theaters in a few weeks. I saw a trailer for it this week.
I don't mean to sound like an alarmist, but what if George Bush is a
plant? Have you thought of that? What if he were put here by shadowy
somebodies in order to undermine the United States?

Evidence? He has increased exponentially the number of our foreign
enemies. He has polarized the electorate. His agents have so cheapened
the political dialogue that cynicism is the national pastime. He has
subverted the Constitution; many of the legal protections against
unchecked government power have already been compromised. All he needs
is one more Supreme Court justice, and things will really start
rolling downhill.

You can ask, cui bono? Ah, there's a list: radical Islamicists,
international oil cartels, China, the Russian mob, North Korea, Iran,
the South American drug cartels, just about anyone who needs a
diplomatically inept, chronically weak U.S. administration to
consolidate its power.

Just one election left before the coup. Take appropriate action

Thursday, June 24, 2004

[...]

Indeed. Bush not only is the most inept POTUS in anyone's memory, he
surely is the most dangerous. And the lies...about Iraq, WMD, the
environment, help for AIDS, Social Security, RX...there's no end to them.

NOYB

"basskisser" wrote in message
om...
A glossy new version of "The Manchurian Candidate" is going to be
released in theaters in a few weeks. I saw a trailer for it this week.
I don't mean to sound like an alarmist, but what if George Bush is a
plant? Have you thought of that? What if he were put here by shadowy
somebodies in order to undermine the United States?

Amazing! I had the same thought about Clinton when he was in office. He
was recruited by the KGB when he was visiting Russia during the Vietnam War
(WTF was he doing in Moscow anyhow?). The KGB knocked off anybody who got
close to the truth: Vince Foster, Ron Brown (died in a plane crash over one
of the ex-Soviet bloc countries I believe), etc. Meanwhile, Clinton slashed
our military by more than 30%, stopped funding for SDI, and reduced our
force strength in Europe. The fall of the Berlin Wall was just a charade to
make Americans *think* that the Soviets were weak. Meanwhile, they were
grooming a smooth-talker from Arkansas to finish us off. Fortunately, in
1994 the Republicans seized Congress from the misguided Democrats, and the
Russian plan was thrown a curve-ball.

Gould 0738

NOYB wrote:

Amazing! I had the same thought about Clinton when he was in office. He
was recruited by the KGB when he was visiting Russia during the Vietnam War
(WTF was he doing in Moscow anyhow?). The KGB knocked off anybody who got
close to the truth: Vince Foster, Ron Brown (died in a plane crash over one
of the ex-Soviet bloc countries I believe), etc. Meanwhile, Clinton slashed
our military by more than 30%, stopped funding for SDI, and reduced our
force strength in Europe. The fall of the Berlin Wall was just a charade to
make Americans *think* that the Soviets were weak. Meanwhile, they were
grooming a smooth-talker from Arkansas to finish us off. Fortunately, in
1994 the Republicans seized Congress from the misguided Democrats, and the
Russian plan was thrown a curve-ball.

You fraud! :-)

Check this *right wing* source for the truth about defense cuts in the 1990's.

http://www.heritage.org/Research/Nat...rity/BG841.cfm

In the future, would you please begin your fairy tales with "Once Upon a Time?"

Stanley Barthfarkle

This is a boat newsgroup. Plonk.

Doug Kanter

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
NOYB wrote:

[...]

"Damn", yelled the dentist. "I've got to figure out how to expand my
attention span so it's at least as big as Kanter's 15 year old son, who
thinks of nothing but pussy and skateboards. Can't keep depending on Weekly
Reader for my news. Gould keeps trumping me with real, live right wing
sources I've never heard of. Gotta stop hittin' the flask in my desk drawer
before I post messages and make myself look stupid. Gotta stop pullin' my
pud while I type...."

Gould 0738

"Damn", yelled the dentist. "I've got to figure out how to expand my
attention span so it's at least as big as Kanter's 15 year old son, who
thinks of nothing but pussy and skateboards. Can't keep depending on Weekly
Reader for my news. Gould keeps trumping me with real, live right wing
sources I've never heard of. Gotta

It's not really NOYB's fault. If you hear the same lie repeated enough times,
it seems to take on the appearance of truth. NOYB admits that he listens to
Savage and some of the other propagandists, and they all sing the same song:
"The Democrats systematically dismantled the strong military that they
inherited from Bush the Elder after the Gulf War! Republicans are tough on
defense, the Democrats all want to cut the budget!"

That has to be one of the most commonly repeated lies of the right wing, and
most who repeat it are not aware of exactly how false it really is.

Many of the 1991-1992 cuts were recommended by then Secty of Defense, Dick
Cheney. Yes, the very same Dick Cheney that now verbally crucifies John Kerry
over defense cuts.

Don't know about you, but when I remember how Bush the Elder cut the armed
forces by several entire divisions, took about 1/3 of the ships out of the
Navy, said it was time for America to collect a "peace dividend" through
drastic reductions in defense spending. etc etc etc......it remains tough
trying to bite the tongue while the right wing blasts Bill Clinton (and now
John Kerry) for weakening the US military.

I would have to check before insisting that it is a fact, but I am reasonably
confident that defense spending, adjusted for inflation, went *up* under
Clinton, not down.