Doug and Lois

Default I did something REALLY dumb

OK I admit it. This was dumb. Not just a little dumb. A LOT dumb.

Seems that I had a 1990 88 special Johnson motor on the back of my
Hydrasport boat. The thing was just a lemon. SO after 13 years of messing
with it I decided to take the plunge and replace the motor. I replaced it
with a 90 horse Johnson 4 stroke. What a thing of beauty.

I had the work done at a local dealer. To change the motor type, they added
a new remote controller and took out the one I had for the Johnson. The
difference is that the "key socket" and "kill switch" for the Johnson were
in the dash of the boat. For the new motor, these are on the controller
(Following this so far?).

Well, the dealer left the old kill switch and key socket (whatever it is
really called) in place. As I got done and looked at it I saw that they had
simply cut a bunch of wires. SO. I did the logical thing. I took out the old
kill switch and key socket and disconnected all of the attached wires. BIG
MISTAKE. It turns out that there were two wires from the new remote
controller that had been attached to the old key socket. Problem is, I have
NO idea where they were attached and I can't find a wiring diagram anywhere
for the Yamaha remote controller to figure out what the heck these wires are
for. SO now I have the boat sitting in my driveway with two wires dangling
from the controller with no idea what, if any, problems I am going to get
myself into. (I am not a complete dunce about wiring. I have already wired
up most of the electrical systems) I suspect that these wires (tan and
yellow and tan in color) have something to do with either the kill switch on
the new controller or is involved somehow in "telling the various gauges"
that the key has been turned and it is time to start gauging whatever it is
the gauges gauge (Some of the gauges seemed to be attached to the old key
switch too but, frankly, I am not sure.)

So, aside from calling me a dunce (and calling the dcealer names for not
redoing the wiring when the new motor was installed), does anyone know of a
website that has a wiring diagram for the Yamaha remore controller (and for
a Yamaha 2003 four stroke 90 horse motor for that matter).

Doug

CCred68046

Seems that I had a 1990 88 special Johnson motor on the back of my
Hydrasport boat. The thing was just a lemon.

Troll.
Jim Rojas

Don't feel so bad...I put an '88 Evinrude 140HP on a '88 Bayliner
Capri...that was really dumb...I knew nothing about boats at the time...The
boat was really fast with the Evinrude. But within 2 years of average salt
water usage, the bayliner fell apart...literally! LMAO.

Live & Learn

Jim Rojas

"CCred68046" wrote in message
Seems that I had a 1990 88 special Johnson motor on the back of my
Hydrasport boat. The thing was just a lemon.

Troll.

Camilo

"Doug and Lois" wrote in message
OK I admit it. This was dumb. Not just a little dumb. A LOT dumb.

snipped - not a really dumb story. I could tell you a couple of REALLY dumb
stories.

But, why not just take it to the dealer and ask him (tell him!) to wire it
correctly. Really kind of a half-assed job, in my opinion and geeze, I'll
bet that new motor and installation were not cheap.

Cam

Dumb question about zincs Gil General 3 May 4th 04 03:21 AM
Usage of motoroil Steven Shelikoff General 153 September 17th 03 12:55 PM
Transom Height - Dumb Question Alert Michael Gagliardi General 0 August 28th 03 07:31 PM
Dumb Question Bob La Londe General 0 August 2nd 03 05:39 AM