AMD Rules

Default Switching to electronic ignition modules

I'm considering switching to electronic ignition modules for my '69
Evinrude 40HP. Replacing points and condensors is a nuisance. I can't
seem to figure out how the newer electronic modules actually function
(they replace the condensors and points). The timing and spark release
with a conventional point system, relies on the crank position to
indicate the appropriate moment to open the points and release the
spark. Timing is accomplished by rotation of the armature plate. With
the electronic systems there isn't a sensor for crank position, and I am
told the spark is released the moment the magnet on the flywheel passes
over the coil. Surely this must change the timing from the original
installation (ie. at idle, and throughout the throttle range). Has
anyone made the switch to electronics, that can provide me with a better
explanation of how they work, how easy they are to install, and how well
they work ?

Just curious.
trainfan1

AMD Rules wrote:
[...]

The modules for Johnson/Evinrude outboards work well, and are specific
to these engines(5.5hp through 40hp). They sense the rise in current at
the magnetos, and are timed to fire at peak voltage... where... guess...
the original points are timed to open. The stator plate moves the
entire timing assembly including the coils, so in effect the coils
become the crank position sensor(s) instead of the mechanical points.

You can check this quite readily if you have ever set your points using
the factory timing pointer that slips on to the crank in place of the
flywheel... it is more accurate to do it this way as opposed to the gap
method, which usually works fine anyway.

The one thing I don't get, is that the modules have gone up quite a bit
in price over the last 20 years. Most of the technology in this area
has come down in price.

Go for it. You will not be disappointed.

Rob
AMD Rules

trainfan1 wrote:
AMD Rules wrote:

I'm considering switching to electronic ignition modules for my '69

snip

[...]

Many thanks Rob, you've given me the confidence to proceed
with the switch to electronics. The peak voltage timing coinciding with
the OEM point opening is the 'secret'. I'll let you know how it works
for me.