Doug Kanter

Default Carpet for trailer bunks

Sorry about the on-topic post, but I notice West Marine sells an 11 inch by
12 foot piece of marine bunk carpet for $24.00. I haven't checked Home Depot
yet, but I suspect I could buy a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet that size at
Home Depot for under ten bucks. What's the diff?

Harry Krause

Doug Kanter wrote:

Sorry about the on-topic post, but I notice West Marine sells an 11 inch by
12 foot piece of marine bunk carpet for $24.00. I haven't checked Home Depot
yet, but I suspect I could buy a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet that size at
Home Depot for under ten bucks. What's the diff?

The last time I looked into this, and it was at least five years ago, I
found htat the bunk carpet from a trailer manufacturer (someone made it
for them), had shorter nap but a tougher "skin" under the nap, and
looked as if it had more tear resistance.
DSK

Doug Kanter wrote:
Sorry about the on-topic post, but I notice West Marine sells an 11 inch by
12 foot piece of marine bunk carpet for $24.00. I haven't checked Home Depot
yet, but I suspect I could buy a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet that size at
Home Depot for under ten bucks. What's the diff?

Doug, I've recarpeted trailer bunks many times (different boats, not the
same boat over & over).

There is a low nap nylon carpet which is good for boat trailers, but I
don't know if that's what West Marine is selling. However, I do know
that almost any carpet found in scraps & remnants will do just fine for
a long time.

Fair Skies
Doug King

Doug Kanter

"DSK" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:
Sorry about the on-topic post, but I notice West Marine sells an 11 inch

by
12 foot piece of marine bunk carpet for $24.00. I haven't checked Home

Depot
yet, but I suspect I could buy a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet that

size at
Home Depot for under ten bucks. What's the diff?

Doug, I've recarpeted trailer bunks many times (different boats, not the
same boat over & over).

There is a low nap nylon carpet which is good for boat trailers, but I
don't know if that's what West Marine is selling. However, I do know
that almost any carpet found in scraps & remnants will do just fine for
a long time.

Fair Skies
Doug King

Even if I don't vote Republican in November?

CCred68046

West Marine sells an 11 inch by
12 foot piece of marine bunk carpet for $24.00.

Home Depot and Lowes sells the same thing much cheaper. Look for the indoor
outdoor carpets marked "marine grade".

John H

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 20:15:49 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

Sorry about the on-topic post, but I notice West Marine sells an 11 inch by
12 foot piece of marine bunk carpet for $24.00. I haven't checked Home Depot
yet, but I suspect I could buy a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet that size at
Home Depot for under ten bucks. What's the diff?

Something greater than $14.00.

(Just couldn't help it.)

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
John H

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 21:23:58 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"DSK" wrote in message
. ..
Doug Kanter wrote:
Sorry about the on-topic post, but I notice West Marine sells an 11 inch

by
12 foot piece of marine bunk carpet for $24.00. I haven't checked Home

Depot
yet, but I suspect I could buy a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet that

size at
Home Depot for under ten bucks. What's the diff?

Doug, I've recarpeted trailer bunks many times (different boats, not the
same boat over & over).

There is a low nap nylon carpet which is good for boat trailers, but I
don't know if that's what West Marine is selling. However, I do know
that almost any carpet found in scraps & remnants will do just fine for
a long time.

Fair Skies
Doug King

Even if I don't vote Republican in November?

Doug, try cruising behind a local carpet shop and check out their dumpster. I
always keep my garage nicely carpeted with used stuff.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
DSK

Doug Kanter wrote:
Even if I don't vote Republican in November?

That isn't the kind of "scraps & remnants" I had in mind.

DSK

Keith Nuttle

Doug Kanter wrote:
"DSK" wrote in message

Doug Kanter wrote:

Sorry about the on-topic post, but I notice West Marine sells an 11 inch

by

12 foot piece of marine bunk carpet for $24.00. I haven't checked Home

Depot

yet, but I suspect I could buy a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet that

size at

Home Depot for under ten bucks. What's the diff?

Doug, I've recarpeted trailer bunks many times (different boats, not the
same boat over & over).

There is a low nap nylon carpet which is good for boat trailers, but I
don't know if that's what West Marine is selling. However, I do know
that almost any carpet found in scraps & remnants will do just fine for
a long time.

Fair Skies
Doug King

Even if I don't vote Republican in November?

I also have used carpet scarps for my bunks for many years. In addition
to the sources mentioned by Doug, you may also watch the around new
houses. This may have worked for me because have voted Republican for
decades.

Doug Kanter

"DSK" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:
Even if I don't vote Republican in November?

That isn't the kind of "scraps & remnants" I had in mind.

DSK

I really have to get over to the East side and buy you a few dozen beers.
:-)

ugly permanent boat rug / carpet - options? [email protected] General 10 September 1st 20 05:26 PM
marine carpet tcoop General 9 February 9th 04 03:46 AM
Carpet stain wicking on mid-berth walls Tom Becker General 12 November 29th 03 05:27 PM
Bunks and/or rollers Mike General 3 October 7th 03 01:21 PM
boat carpet Jason General 2 August 31st 03 12:22 AM