jmgard

Default Rigging an OLD Sunfish

I just acquired a "free" Sunfish that is older than the directions on
the Vanguard website. I think I've gotten it rigged with the exception
of what to do with the forward end of the mainsheet (is that what you
call the rope that starts at the bridle, runs through blocks below the
boom and then down?) THe Vanguard site shows that rope passing through
a block located between the cockpit and the daggerboard...but this
boat doesn't have a block like that - it doesn't have mountings for a
block like that and it doesn't have bblocks on either side of the
cockpit. It does have a small inverted hook that is mounted to the
forward side of the cockpit in the middle. Any ideas??

Thanks for your help and since my butt's already on fire from getting
a boat w/out 'her' permission I don't need anymore flames...(smile,
it's a joke).

JG
DSK

jmgard wrote:
I just acquired a "free" Sunfish that is older than the directions on
the Vanguard website.

Luckily for you, I had & sailed a Sunfish back in that era....

....THe Vanguard site shows that rope passing through
a block located between the cockpit and the daggerboard...but this
boat doesn't have a block like that - it doesn't have mountings for a
block like that and it doesn't have bblocks on either side of the
cockpit. It does have a small inverted hook that is mounted to the
forward side of the cockpit in the middle. Any ideas??

Yep. You hold the mainsheet in your hand, or you can lead it under that
little bronze hook and then hold it. And be careful not to gouge your
shins on the hook when tacking.

In all seriousness, I'd recommend installing at least a ratchet block
for the mainsheet. I'm not a fan of mainsheet cleats for boats like
this, too easy to have them capsize anyway and having the sheet cleated
lulls the skipper into a false sense of security.

Thanks for your help and since my butt's already on fire from getting
a boat w/out 'her' permission I don't need anymore flames...(smile,
it's a joke).

Take her sailing on a nice day. That'll make up for a lot!

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

trainfan1

jmgard wrote:
[...]

That inverted hook is a fairlead hook, you can hold the sheet by hand or
pass it under the fairlead for some assistance... as there is no boom
vang on the lateen rig, using the hook will give you better sail shape
and better performance too, as well as giving you a better hiking
position (sail it flat!).

Schaffer makes a real nice ratcheting/swivel block with cam cleat that
is Sunfish Class approved and fits very nicely on the lip of the cockpit
deck surface with only three small holes to drill, & none through the
hull. Its positioning allows/retains unaltered use of the fairlead
hook, too.

Some racers have fashioned a method of using the halyard for use as a
boom vang on the Sunfish, which is within class rules, but it is a fussy
series of steps.

Check the Sunfish Class website for other tips/tricks...

Rob

jmgard

trainfan1 wrote in message ...
jmgard wrote:
[...]

Rob:

Thanks for the great response to my "rigging an OLD
Sunfish" question but I've got a follow-up for you...
You said: "Schaffer makes a real nice
ratcheting/swivel block with cam cleat that
is Sunfish Class approved and fits very nicely on the
lip of the cockpit deck surface with only three small
holes to drill, & none through the hull. Its
positioning allows/retains unaltered use of the
fairlead hook, too."

Do you have the model # or part # for that Schaffer
block and i take it that it would be mounted directly
on the deck between the dagger and the cockpit lip -
is that correct?
trainfan1

jmgard wrote:
trainfan1 wrote in message ...

jmgard wrote:

[...]

My apologies... I am getting my Force 5 and my Sunfish a little mixed
up... but here is the Schaefer swivel cam that I use on the Sunfish:

http://www.sailnet.com/store/item.cfm?pid=16454

here is the similar Harken:

http://www.sailnet.com/store/item.cfm?pid=19932

I mount them right on the edge where the cockpit lip starts to turn up a
little... as close to the fairlead hook as possible.

Rob

how to fix 1/2" hole in sunfish hull Scott G. General 1 June 14th 04 02:37 AM
Help with Hullmaster\Hughes 22' sailboat rigging Paul Latimer General 0 May 16th 04 01:03 AM
Hobie 16 rigging order, tension Gabe Silverman General 1 August 31st 03 07:13 PM
Rigging knife Doug Kanter General 7 August 19th 03 05:40 AM
Removable Rowing Rig for Sunfish Shawn General 1 July 20th 03 09:09 PM