George

Default Silent Exhaust on Mercruiser 502 Mag

I have a 2000 twin engine Baja 342 with Mercruiser 502 Mag MPI
engines. I noticed yesterday the silent exhaust is not working on the
port engine (both sides). Works fine on the other engine. Both are
controlled by a single switch on the dash. When we bought the boat,
the dealer made a big deal out of saying not to flip this switch when
RPMs where higher then 1500 or so. That was fine till my wife asked me
what that switch did and flipped it at the same time going 2500 to
3000 RPMs. Not sure thats what caused this problem on the port engine
but its a good guess. Can someone tell me if this is something easy to
fix (fuse, I hope) or do I need to call service?

thx
George
JamesgangNC

I've never heard of the engine speed having anything to do with the silent
choice exhaust. They are just Y connectors with flaps in them. Most are
big electric solenoids but there are also hydralic ones. The corsa ones are
solenoids, I believe the merc silent choice are also solenoids. I flip my
corsa ones on at WOT all the time. Sounds like an bad connection or relay.
They often have one or more relays because the electrical load is too big
for a dash switch.

"George" wrote in message
om...
I have a 2000 twin engine Baja 342 with Mercruiser 502 Mag MPI
engines. I noticed yesterday the silent exhaust is not working on the
port engine (both sides). Works fine on the other engine. Both are
controlled by a single switch on the dash. When we bought the boat,
the dealer made a big deal out of saying not to flip this switch when
RPMs where higher then 1500 or so. That was fine till my wife asked me
what that switch did and flipped it at the same time going 2500 to
3000 RPMs. Not sure thats what caused this problem on the port engine
but its a good guess. Can someone tell me if this is something easy to
fix (fuse, I hope) or do I need to call service?

thx
George

Slambram

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 22:58:16 GMT, "JamesgangNC"
wrote:

I've never heard of the engine speed having anything to do with the silent
choice exhaust. They are just Y connectors with flaps in them. Most are
big electric solenoids but there are also hydralic ones. The corsa ones are
solenoids, I believe the merc silent choice are also solenoids. I flip my
corsa ones on at WOT all the time. Sounds like an bad connection or relay.
They often have one or more relays because the electrical load is too big
for a dash switch.

Thru-hull exhaust is *required* for the Mercruiser 454 and 502 Mag
motors. Under 2000 rpm, you're fine thru the prop, but above you have
to switch to thru hull. You could probably get away with higher rpms
thru prop, but definitelly not WOT. If you do, you lose not only
performance, but risk engine damage.

I hope you've got something less than a 454 Mag?

That said, i don't think flipping the exhaust at higher rpms should
cause damage to diverters themselves. Check the relays like the above
poster said.

DIY Exhaust Lloyd Sumpter General 0 December 29th 03 11:37 PM
Exhaust conversion to thru-hull Tan PS General 1 December 28th 03 04:49 PM
Mercruiser 470 Problems - can somebody help ? Olaf-C. Lepthien General 4 September 25th 03 08:02 AM
Exhaust question on inboard 1958 Chris Craft Gary Warner General 5 September 25th 03 12:32 AM
? Mercruiser oil vs synethic oil frank news General 0 August 14th 03 10:42 PM