Bchbound

Default Hard starting '93 Merc 4.3 I/O

I have a little trouble starting my 1993 Merc 4.3 motor. It usually
cranks a bit (sometimes longer than others) then starts but dies out at
idle. I perform this ritual a few times and then it idles ok. Once it
warms up it runs great. It seems that the more often I run the boat the
better chance of starting it without problems. I dont expect this boat to
start like a boat with fuel injection but there must be some solution to
this. Is the motor just getting old as far as rings, compression etc?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Bchbound
JamesgangNC

It might be that the gas lines leak back into the tank while it sits.
Water in the gas will sometimes cause a little corrosion or gel to form in
the fuel pump valves and it will leak back. Plus boats sit longer between
uses and the fuel tank is often lower that the tank on a car is in relation
to the engine. My 5.7 does this. I just crank for a minute or so before I
even bother to give it gas knowing the fuel pump needs to work a little
first. How often do you use it?

"Bchbound" wrote in message
I have a little trouble starting my 1993 Merc 4.3 motor. It usually
cranks a bit (sometimes longer than others) then starts but dies out at
idle. I perform this ritual a few times and then it idles ok. Once it
warms up it runs great. It seems that the more often I run the boat the
better chance of starting it without problems. I dont expect this boat to
start like a boat with fuel injection but there must be some solution to
this. Is the motor just getting old as far as rings, compression etc?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Bchbound

Eddie E

"Bchbound" wrote in message
I have a little trouble starting my 1993 Merc 4.3 motor. It usually
cranks a bit (sometimes longer than others) then starts but dies out at
idle. I perform this ritual a few times and then it idles ok. Once it
warms up it runs great. It seems that the more often I run the boat the
better chance of starting it without problems. I dont expect this boat to
start like a boat with fuel injection but there must be some solution to
this. Is the motor just getting old as far as rings, compression etc?

I have a 2001 4.3 Mercruiser with the same exact problem. The first few
times I attempted to start the boat it took several minutes before it
finally turned over. The first time it did it I called SeaTow to have my
boat towed to my mechanic but it finally kicked over before SeaTow got
there. It's funny because before I put the boat in the water I put a hose
line on and started it up to run all of the winterizing fluids out and it
started right up after several months of sitting. The boat is starting up OK
now though (fingers crossed). so many after a few starts and runs it will be
OK. I remember my boat being a little difficult to start early last season
but nothing like this year.

Eddie

115 merc starting hard. kozmo6969 General 6 June 21st 04 06:11 PM
starting old merc Chris General 7 June 8th 04 03:20 AM
Hard Starting Force 125 Volvette General 1 May 25th 04 01:24 PM
Which engine for new pontoon, 60 hp merc BigFoot or 90 hp merc Jon General 15 February 6th 04 06:32 AM
Screeching sound after starting engine John A General 9 October 24th 03 04:08 AM