Rudy

Default Sea Ray 2001 180BR Starting Problems

I test drove a Sea Ray 180BR I/O today. The person selling it had
trouble starting it. He said that this is a common problem with Sea
Rays and that the company had sent out a letter telling owners how to
start the engine. Is he trying to pull a fast one on me?
Gregory McGuire

when I was buying a boat I heard all kinds of stories and I only bought the
boat that worked - without a story. I looked at 5 boats before getting one,
and glad that I did.
greg
"Rudy" wrote in message
om...
I test drove a Sea Ray 180BR I/O today. The person selling it had
trouble starting it. He said that this is a common problem with Sea
Rays and that the company had sent out a letter telling owners how to
start the engine. Is he trying to pull a fast one on me?

Gould 0738

I test drove a Sea Ray 180BR I/O today. The person selling it had
trouble starting it. He said that this is a common problem with Sea
Rays and that the company had sent out a letter telling owners how to
start the engine. Is he trying to pull a fast one on me?

Sea Ray didn't build the engine, but if there's a particular technique that
should be used to start it more reliably, Sea Ray may well have sent out a
bulletin.

Odds are, you'll find the very same engine in any number of competing brands.

Was the person trying to start the Sea Ray maybe really trying to sell you
something else? Did it advance his interests to make the Sea Ray look less than
reliable or diificult to use?
Tony Thomas

The boat has a Mercruiser engine in it (engine made by Chevy/GM). Should be
no issue in starting if done properly. If it has set for a long time it may
take a few turns to get fuel into the carb and system as it does have a
mechanical fuel pump and carb (not like fuel injection on your car). My
technique has always been to engage cold start, pump throttle 3 times to
full open and back, hold throttle at about 1/2 position and crank.

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

om...