Default Trivia question (McCullough outboards)

OK,

Here's one for you.

What was the name of the original test grounds for McCullough outboards
and what is it called today?

:-)

barry

(for extra points, what was the name of Karl Keikeifer's testing lake?)..
trainfan1

trainfan1 wrote:

McCULLOCH !

Rob
trainfan1

Billgran wrote:

OK, sports fans, who knows what outboard motor part was designed by
McCullouch and was also used on OMC outboards who paid royalties to
McCullouch for each item produced?

Was it a feature/part produced/designed by/during the Scott-A****er era,
up to 1956, or 1957-up? All the old Scott-A****er Literature we had
bragged about being the first with "Full Gear Shift" (F-N-R) so this
would come to mind first. It was a pretty important feature to have...

Bonus question, who from the McCullouch family was married to a family
member of the OMC Board of Directors?

Stephen Briggs (of Briggs & Stratton) was Chairman of the Board of OMC
when he and Ole Evinrude(OMC President) formed the firm back in the mid
twenties. Robert McCulloch married his daughter, Barbara. I don't know
if Briggs' son, Jim was on the BOD, but he was an officer of the company
at some point.

Also, how many folks remember the small 1/2 pint cans of McCullough 100:1
oil that could be used in their outboards?

I remember them, but my dad & grandfather were Pennsylvania crude fans,
and our Scotts & McCullochs got Quaker State SAE 30 or SAE 40 2-stroke
oil mixed at 50:1. Our McCulloch 40 had a nice feature, though, a 10
gallon factory supplied fuel tank!

What was unique about some McCullough outboard sparkplugs back in their day?

I do remember having a place on the engine block to screw in a spare
set... as for the plugs, I recall my father not liking the "360's", or
surface gap plugs, before we even got our V-4 Evinrude with them. The
only thing "unique" about the surface gap plugs was the anti-fouling
feature like on the Champion UL-77V plugs in the Evinrude - a split in
the core. We use the Bosch Silver Sport plugs in the Evinrudes now.

Rob (33+ Years working on OMCs)
Billgran

"trainfan1" wrote in message
Billgran wrote:

[...]

OK, Rob, you done good !!!!!

You got them all correct except for the first question, and you even
remembered names that I had forgotten. Yep, they also had the "surface gap"
sparkplugs and used them with regular point and condenser ignition systems,
not CDI systems.
McCullough had the vertical spring rewind starter assembly and OMC used it
on their 6hp motors and the famous 9.5hp motor also. That feature, I'm told,
was the result of the marriage and working things out to both company's
advantage.

Bill Grannis
service manager

trainfan1

Billgran wrote:

McCullough had the vertical spring rewind starter assembly and OMC used it
on their 6hp motors and the famous 9.5hp motor also. That feature, I'm told,
was the result of the marriage and working things out to both company's
advantage.

Bill Grannis
service manager

I've re-strung & re-geared so many of those I can do it blindfolded, as
long as I keep track of the roll pin for the gear swap. I can't believe
how often they break on rentals... my 1972 6 that the whole family uses
still has the original rope, handle, & gear (although it is cracked -
for about the last 5-6 years or so - new one in the parts bin for when
it goes).

The first application of this type of recoil I can recall seeing was on
my grandfather's Lawn-Boy... which was made by... OH, now I get it...!

Rob

Billgran wrote:

: Also, how many folks remember the small 1/2 pint cans of McCullough 100:1
: oil that could be used in their outboards?

Yellow, black and white cans.

: What was unique about some McCullough outboard sparkplugs back in their day?

Ring gap plugs.