Avery Hightower

Default Lund

Lund sucks!

Gould 0738

That was informative.

Why have you formed that opinion?
del cecchi

"Avery Hightower" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Lund sucks!

trolling trolling trolling. Keep those walleyes rolling.

Lund is great

Calif Bill

I agree. Seeing the number of Lund's on the water, they suck up a lot of
boating dollars.
Bill

"Avery Hightower" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Lund sucks!

Gould 0738

Here is some more information yet on Lund boats:

Lund Boats

We have occasion to call somewhat regularly on Day Island Boatworks, (just
south of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge in University Place). Day Island began
carrying Lund Boats last year, adding an additional, aluminum dimension to an
inventory of Wellcraft and Larson fiberglass fishing boats, sport boats, and
cruisers. The Lund products seem to be selling rapidly, so we decided to learn
a little more about the boats.

According to official figures, something like a gazillion boats are registered
in the Pacific Northwest. Fortunately, they aren't all cruising sail or
powerboats- Puget Sound would be too small to accommodate them if they all
decided to launch at once.

The vast majority of boats are owned by people who see a boat as an important,
yet secondary, accessory for pursuing a different primary interest. When the
salmon are running, trout season is on, or crabbing is likely to be productive,
thousands of small, trailerable boats emerge from storage yards, garages, or
from under backyard tarps and proceed to the nearest boat ramp. We chatted with
Jerry Spiess, (Lund's West Coast District Sales Manager), to discover why an
increasing number of these trailerable fish boats seem to be Lunds.

We learned that Lund has been around since 1948, when aluminum became available
after the Second World War. Howard Lund was a pioneer in aluminum boat
manufacturing, and Lund has specialized in aluminum fishing boats ever since.
Henry Lund wanted to build a boat that was durable, lightweight, and easily
maintained.
Aluminum provided the characteristics Lund was seeking; strong enough to take a
pounding if the weather goes sour, yet light enough to be easily trailered and
improve speed and fuel economy once underway. Lund has changed hands several
times in almost sixty years, and was recently acquired by Brunswick, (builders
of Bayliner, Meridian, Sea Ray, Hatteras, Boston Whaler, and other major
brands).

One of the secrets to Lund's success is that the majority of the product line
is adaptable to a wide variety of fishing conditions. "We don't build a boat
with single species fishing in mind," said Jerry Spiess. "Most of our boaters
want a boat that can be used in either fresh or sal****er, and versatile enough
to do different types of fishing throughout the year."

While Lund emphasizes boats that will adapt to a wide variety of fishing
conditions, a buyer isn't expected to "make do" with an overly generalized
product. The Lund company offers 95 (!) different models between 12' and 21'6".
A variety of outboard motor choices, sterndrive options on boats over 18-feet,
will allow nearly any angler to find a Lund that reflects his or her personal
performance preferences. Fishing-oriented options include a variety of
available bait wells, rod stowage systems, individual fishing chairs, rod
holders, and more.

Additional options that will make a Lund more enjoyable in a wide variety of NW
weather conditions include windshields, canvas tops, side curtain enclosures,
bow covers, and mooring covers. Most models offer an optional vinyl floor that
creates additional stowage compartments and is easily cleaned with a hose.

Whether a fisherman chooses as basic 12-foot rowboat for about $1000, a well
equipped, twin outboard 21'6" boat for somewhere closer to $50,000, (or one of
the models in between), there are some characteristics that define a Lund boat.

"We use a double-riveted hull," said Jerry Spiess, "with a welded bow seam. A
lot of people question us about why we use rivets, instead of welds, throughout
the boat. The reason we use rivets is the same reason that aircraft and Navy
battleships are held together with rivets- we achieve a combination of strength
and flexibility. Welding is fine where a seam isn't going to be required to
flex . This technique has proven so reliable over the years that Lund is able
to offer our buyers a lifetime warranty against any material or workmanship
defects in the hull. As long as you own it, we'll fix it, but we build them so
tough you don't have to come back asking for repairs in the first place."

We learned that the forward sections of all Lund boats are double plated for
additional strength when pounding through chop. Some aluminum boat
manufacturers rely on "ribs" to provide longitudinal and transverse hull
support, and these ribs are essentially just indentations placed in the hull as
it is shaped. Lund incorporates extruded aluminum I-beams used in a traditional
stringer style rather than merely pressing dents into the hull.

Lunds are designed with "integrated power strakes". The exclusive bottom design
provides a wider "footprint" on the water, improving handling and planing
characteristics. Integrated Power Strake (IPS) design delivers more
non-turbulent water to the vessel's prop, improving performance and fuel
efficiency.

While the Lund product line emphasizes fishing, many of the larger models can
be rigged with sufficient horsepower to serve as a family sport boat. Skiing,
tubing, and wakeboarding might interest members of the family less interested
in fishing, and many of the Lund boats will double nicely in a day boat
capacity.

No boat does everything equally well. Lund is first and foremost a fishing
boat, and appears to be a darn good one. With no galley, head, or cabin
accommodations a Lund would not be the first choice for most boaters intent on
anchoring for a weekend in the San Juans; (but might be just perfect for
hauling a boat load of tents, tarps, and sleeping bags to set up a shoreside
camp in a marine state park).

As our population continues to grow in the Northwest, the number of registered
boats will surely increase as well. With renewed emphasis on family values,
some fish runs stabilizing or actually improving, and a wide variety of fresh
and sal****er angling opportunity within a short drive from most homes in the
Pacific Northwest, we can expect to see well-made, adaptable Lund aluminum
boats capture a notable share of the recreational angling market.

Harry Krause

Gould 0738 wrote:

[...]

I've fished on a few Lunds up here on two lakes, and was very impressed
with the quality of fit and finish, the cleverness of design and the
overall strength of construction.
Del Cecchi

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
[...]

snip

There was a Jerry Spiess, as I recall, that sailed single handed across the
atlantic in a 10 foot boat he built. I think he later did the pacific. I
recall going to a talk he gave. Since he was from Minnesota, and Lund is a
Minnesota company, I wonder if there is any relation.

I found his book on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books
"alone against the atlantic" but he spells his first name Gerry.

An amazing story.

del cecchi

LUND, Crestliner sold del cecchi General 6 March 14th 04 07:20 PM
help with bass boat purchase Chris General 6 February 3rd 04 09:23 PM
Howard Lund dies del cecchi General 5 October 29th 03 07:21 PM
Lund vs. Princecraft KRead General 9 October 9th 03 04:00 AM