Del Cecchi

Default Lund

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
Here is some more information yet on Lund boats:

Lund Boats

We have occasion to call somewhat regularly on Day Island Boatworks, (just
south of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge in University Place). Day Island began
carrying Lund Boats last year, adding an additional, aluminum dimension to

an
inventory of Wellcraft and Larson fiberglass fishing boats, sport boats,

and
cruisers. The Lund products seem to be selling rapidly, so we decided to

learn
a little more about the boats.

According to official figures, something like a gazillion boats are

registered
in the Pacific Northwest. Fortunately, they aren't all cruising sail or
powerboats- Puget Sound would be too small to accommodate them if they all
decided to launch at once.

The vast majority of boats are owned by people who see a boat as an

important,
yet secondary, accessory for pursuing a different primary interest. When

the
salmon are running, trout season is on, or crabbing is likely to be

productive,
thousands of small, trailerable boats emerge from storage yards, garages,

or
from under backyard tarps and proceed to the nearest boat ramp. We chatted

with
Jerry Spiess, (Lund's West Coast District Sales Manager), to discover why

an
increasing number of these trailerable fish boats seem to be Lunds.

snip

There was a Jerry Spiess, as I recall, that sailed single handed across the
atlantic in a 10 foot boat he built. I think he later did the pacific. I
recall going to a talk he gave. Since he was from Minnesota, and Lund is a
Minnesota company, I wonder if there is any relation.

I found his book on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books
"alone against the atlantic" but he spells his first name Gerry.

An amazing story.

del cecchi