BoatBanter.com

-   -   OT--Ping: To all who keep warning me of a housing bust in Naples (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/48704-ot-ping-all-who-keep-warning-me-housing-bust-naples.html)

NOYB September 18th 05 06:42 PM

OT--Ping: To all who keep warning me of a housing bust in Naples

Deep-pocketed buyers steering Naples market clear of bust talk
By GINA EDWARDS
September 18, 2005

When home prices hit the outer stratosphere, the number of potential buyers
admittedly shrinks. But the Naples luxury market is still in boom mode,
local agents say, despite forecasts of a housing bubble that some predict
eventually must burst.

A slowdown?

"I just don't see it," said Bill Earls, an agent for John R. Wood, who
specializes in ultra-high-end homes.

Earls had a $20 million month in July and said, "I think I've topped that
out in August."

The $24.8 million Gordon Drive estate of billionaire Campbell Soup heiress
Dorrance H. Hamilton flew off the market in less than a week when it was
listed in May. That sent tongues wagging in real estate circles.

The 7,000-square-foot beachfront house at 4444 Gordon Drive and its quick
sale grabbed national headlines for John R. Wood Inc. listing agents Merry
Coolidge and Bruce Babcock following the home's closing in July. Barbara
Chur, whose husband made his fortune in nursing homes, bought the estate,
which includes a separate guest house and Naples Bay frontage across Gordon
Drive.

The sale price wasn't a record for Naples, but the speed of the sale very
well may have been.

Agents say they had buyers lining up.

"I had someone right behind them," says Prudential Florida WCI agent Jackie
May, who specializes in Port Royal.

The multiple listing service shows just more than 450 homes and lots on the
market now priced at $2 million or more. Of those, close to 100 are priced
at $5 million and more.

Collier County Property Appraiser records show that more than 1,400
properties sold for more than $1 million from January through August.

Surprisingly, local agents say there was no summer slowdown in the high-end
market. But, although the luxury market is active, price appreciation
appears to be slowing somewhat, agents say.

Emily K. Bua, of Premier Properties, said she's not seeing as much
appreciation in the $4 million to $10 million market as in the past. Bua
said she doesn't see prices dropping, either.

"There's tremendous appreciation in the under $2 million market," Bua said.

Land values, as always, are dictating prices. Homes built in the '80s or
'90s in Port Royal and Old Naples are mostly considered tear-downs now.

"If they're not brand new, the houses are free," May said. "The ground has
just appreciated so much."

And the ground is especially rich if it's sand.

Agents say prices for beachfront lots are fetching between $70,000 and
$80,000 per foot of beachfront - thus adding between $10 million and $12
million for typical 150-foot-wide lots on Gordon Drive.

Tearing down and building new gives buyers bigger homes, higher ceilings,
and what Earls calls "the new sexy appliances."

But what buyers want most is a beautiful view, agents say.

"The bigger the view, the more it is," May said.

Many high-end buyers are already here and they want more house or more
water, May said. Some retired executives think they'll only spend a little
time in Naples, but they end up staying here a lot, she said.

Fundamentally, agents say demand from high net worth clients is strong.

More and more newcomers are discovering the market, local agents say. They
are top flight executives and increasingly they're hailing from the
Northeast and out West - a departure from the traditional Midwestern crowd.
Europeans, particularly from Germany and England, are coming in greater
numbers, too.

"There are a lot of people just discovering Naples," Bua said.

Naples has had positive national press of late and its charity wine auction,
the Naples Winter Wine Festival, attracts big spenders from all over the
world.

"I think the wine festival has brought a lot of attention to the Naples
market," Bua said.

What's most encouraging to Earls is this: "I'm seeing a good, healthy influx
of new people," he said. "I think our market has broadened."

Although the market appears flush with mega-mansions for sale, Earls said
homes are turning over and sales are brisk.

"I have 30 listings after selling $200 million (this year)," Earls said.

Overall, he said, he's up 10 percent more than last year.

One thing that gives Bua confidence in the health of the luxury market is
it's not as prone to profiteering.

"The market over $4 million or $5 million is end-users," Bua said. "The
market under $2 million has a lot of investors in it."

Agents typically define the luxury market in Naples as homes and condos
valued at $4 million and more. There's a big range in between though. May
estimates Port Royal's largest estate could be worth as much as $100
million.

For now, Coolidge and Babcock - who sold the $24.8 million estate in less
than a week - have bragging rights on speed of a mega-sale.

The four-bedroom, 4½ bath estate home built by Newbury North Associates and
designed by architect Jerry DeGennaro features dark wood paneling with
tropical decor and such luxuries as an exercise and massage room off the
master suite. Across Gordon Drive, a four-bedroom guest house and caretaker
house front Naples Bay.

"We had appointments one on top of the other," Coolidge said. "We were
hardly even ready to show it to the market place."

The top price for a home and property - $30 million paid in April 2001 for a
beachfront and bay lot combination - still holds.

High-end agents seem to be scrambling for the next record luxury sale. It
could be a cell phone call away.

http://naplesnews.com/npdn/news/arti...089510,00.html

NOYB September 18th 05 06:55 PM

Mo

Naples-Marco market No. 1 for home price appreaciation
By GINA EDWARDS

September 18, 2005

Handicapping a real estate bubble has become a national obsession, if not a
national pastime.

And the Southwest Florida market is still grabbing the national spotlight.

The Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight says the Naples-Marco
Island metro area is No. 1 in the nation for home price appreciation for the
second quarter ending June 30, compared with the same time last year.

Single-family homes appreciated 35.6 percent during that time.

The Cape Coral-Fort Myers metro area ranks No. 9 in the country at 29.84
percent appreciation. Punta Gorda in Charlotte County ranks No. 12 on the
list with homes appreciating 29.39 percent during the year.

"We're not seeing any evidence whatsoever of prices topping out," said
Andrew Leventis, an economist for the Office of Federal Housing Enterprise
Oversight.

Nationwide, homes appreciated 13.4 percent on average, according to the
federal index. On the opposite end of the spectrum, Mansfield, Ohio, and
Lafayette, Ind., had the lowest appreciation for the second quarter in the
nation, both coming in at less than 1 percent.

Overall, income levels and low interest rates are fueling home prices on a
macro level, Leventis said. In Florida - and Naples in particular - demand
from buyers appears strong.

"We hear of demand being high for second homes there," Leventis said.

Local agents say brisk sales in the luxury market appear to be boosting the
area's median sales price, even as some sales in the lower end of the market
have slowed.

"The number of transactions on the high end has increased," said Joe
Ballerino, owner of Amerivest Realty.

Ballerino said the lower end of the Naples market - which he describes as
properties at less than $750,000 - appears to be leveling off somewhat.

The Florida Association of Realtors reported Naples' median single-family
home price for July at $490,400, up 31 percent compared with July 2004.

Closings in Collier County in August were up 24 percent compared with the
same time last year, according to MLS data compiled by Amerivest Realty of
Naples.

Year to date, closings were 6,613 from January to August, compared with
6,494 for the same time last year.

Another national group, the National Association of Realtors, reported in
August that the Fort Myers-Cape Coral Metropolitan Statistical Area ranked
second in the nation for median home price appreciation for the second
quarter, with the median price up 45.2 percent from the same time a year ago
to $266,800.

NAR doesn't include the Naples area in its ranking.

k.net...

Starbuck September 18th 05 07:03 PM

NYOB,
Harry and Kevin are the only ones who are upset that you have done so well
with the housing market. They are jealous.

--

Starbuck

.... Arsonists of the world, ignite!
"NOYB" wrote in message
et...
[...]

k.net...

NOYB September 18th 05 07:07 PM

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 17:42:30 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

When home prices hit the outer stratosphere, the number of potential
buyers
admittedly shrinks. But the Naples luxury market is still in boom mode,
local agents say, despite forecasts of a housing bubble that some predict
eventually must burst.

A slowdown?

You will get your turn and sooner than later.

It's already starting up here in NE.

I figure that once the NE slows, we'll soon follow. They'll be a slowdown,
but never a correction. There are too many baby boomers looking to retire
down here. The SW coast of Florida used to be mostly midwesterners. But
the housing prices in the midwest aren't keeping pace with the prices down
here. So we're seeing more buyers from the NE, the West, and overseas.

NOYB September 18th 05 07:08 PM

"Starbuck" wrote in message
NYOB,
Harry and Kevin are the only ones who are upset that you have done so well
with the housing market. They are jealous.

Actually, it really seems to bother DSK the most. He has sent the most
doomsday warnings my way...but he is followed closely by Gould.

Starbuck September 18th 05 07:24 PM

Harry,
You said you still owned a home in St. Augustine, and would move back there
when you return to Fl. Did you forget that story also?

--

Starbuck

"You are accustomed to ostracism from childhood because you are overweight,
deformed, stupid, or have an extremely short [deleted]."
"Harry Krause" wrote in message
NOYB wrote:
"Starbuck" wrote in message
NYOB,
Harry and Kevin are the only ones who are upset that you have done so
well with the housing market. They are jealous.

Actually, it really seems to bother DSK the most. He has sent the most
doomsday warnings my way...but he is followed closely by Gould.

As usual, Smithers is wrong. I'm neither jealous nor upset about your
paper gains. I simply don't have much use for your part of Florida from
April through mid-November, and for the rest of the year, it is too dull
and small-townish for my taste. I far prefer NE Florida, because it has
actual seasons and a pretty mild winter, and, while it on occasion is
walloped by storms, it happens with far less frequency than your area.

If I move back to Florida full-time someday, it'll be between Daytona and
the St. Mary's River.

As for your housing investment, well, that's your business. Your mortgage
is of a far riskier variety than I would want on my personal home. I also
speculate in real estate, but not the way you do.

--
- - -
George W. Bush, our hero!

I've been GASJACKED!

Harry.Krause September 18th 05 07:28 PM

"Starbuck" wrote:
Harry,
You said you still owned a home in St. Augustine, and would move back
there when you return to Fl. Did you forget that story also?

No, I made that up.

thunder September 19th 05 04:18 AM

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 18:07:34 +0000, NOYB wrote:

I figure that once the NE slows, we'll soon follow. They'll be a
slowdown, but never a correction. There are too many baby boomers
looking to retire down here. The SW coast of Florida used to be mostly
midwesterners. But the housing prices in the midwest aren't keeping pace
with the prices down here. So we're seeing more buyers from the NE, the
West, and overseas.

You bought your house for the right reasons, as a place to live and
additionally, long term. I don't see you at risk, long term, but geez,
"never a correction." All the warning signs are there. I read somewhere
that speculators are a third of your market. You have people in the
industry openly denying the bubble will burst. Guy, remember "bust" is
part of the "boom and bust" cycle. It ain't an "if", it's a "when".

[email protected] September 19th 05 04:19 AM

NOYB wrote:
"Starbuck" wrote in message
NYOB,
Harry and Kevin are the only ones who are upset that you have done so well
with the housing market. They are jealous.

Actually, it really seems to bother DSK the most. He has sent the most
doomsday warnings my way...but he is followed closely by Gould.

DSK doesn't have to work hard to beat my number of warnings; I sent you
one.

Get thou to Amazon.com and purchase a book: Extraordinary Popular
Delusions and the Madness of Crowds.

Then sing along:
All Around the Hurricane Zone
Where wages are in trouble
The housing prices rise and rise
'Til "pop" goes the bubble.

You know, NOYB, at one time I was under the impression you had a couple
of bucks or so. People with money don't launch a thread to to announce
"look how well I'm doing financially." Besides, how many houses do you
own in Naples. One?
Que lastima, Doc. That's not an investment- (unless you decide to go
pitch a tent down on the beach and rent it out). If you sell it for
$99999999999999.00, you'll surely have to spend at least as much to buy
another. You're no richer, and no poorer than if your house were worth
$29,000.....you still need a place to live. Until you don't need a
place to live, you can't extract a dime.

bb September 19th 05 04:27 AM

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 23:18:09 -0400, thunder
wrote:

All the warning signs are there. I read somewhere
that speculators are a third of your market. You have people in the
industry openly denying the bubble will burst. Guy, remember "bust" is
part of the "boom and bust" cycle. It ain't an "if", it's a "when".

Unless, of course, hyper-inflation makes current housing prices seem
like a bargain in a few years.

I find it interesting to hear all the talking heads saying there's no
real problem with inflation. From my perspective there's been
tremendous inflation over the last few years, yet the "official" rate
of inflation is mild. I think what's happening in gold is a good sign
of what's about to happen in our economy. If you can make a dollar
worth $.20, paying off all the dept and entitlement won't hurt the
wealthy folks who control the country nearly as much.

bb

Starbuck September 19th 05 01:11 PM

Chuck,
There are many people who do make money by selling their primary residence
and moving to a less expensive area.

I know people who lived in bungalows on the west coast, and then purchased
mansions when they left. If someone lived in Naples, and then retired
elsewhere, they could downsize and make a very tidy profit living purchasing
a home in most other areas of the US.

--

Starbuck

-- Sacha Guitry - The little I know, I owe to my ignorance.

wrote in message
oups.com...

Starbuck September 19th 05 01:14 PM

This is exactly what happened in Houston during the oil boom and bust period
in the 80's. 6000 sq. foot homes were selling for $200,000 due to all the
bankruptcies. Banks were doing anything to clear their books of homes
people could not afford to buy.

--

Starbuck

"External reality is sort of an affectation of the nervous system." -- Jaron
Lanier

wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 18:07:34 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

There are too many baby boomers looking to retire
down here.

The real bust will happen when SS goes upside down, the market tanks
and private pensions start failing.

The first time one of those boomers actually loses money on a bad
investment in a home things will start tumbling pretty fast. It will
really affect "want" houses worse than "need" houses but all will see
the effect. The real problem will be people who owe a lot more than
the home is worth. They may end up just walking away from the
mortgage. Banks are stuck with a lot of hard to sell property that is
a negative cash flow. They end up cutting their losses and taking what
they can get. That is when things tumble.

A nice waterfront property with salt water access will always demand a
premium but a lot of those McMansions that are just depending on
ambiance and a gate guard are going to be screwed.

NOYB September 19th 05 01:35 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...

NOYB wrote:
"Starbuck" wrote in message
[...]

This wasn't a "look at how well I'm doing thread". This is a continuation
of a thread in which you and/or DSK debated the possibility of a crash in
the Naples market. You both felt is was inevitable, and I disagreed. I
created this thread to bask my assertions made in the other thread. I'm
sorry if you took it the wrong way.

NOYB September 19th 05 01:37 PM

"Starbuck" wrote in message
Chuck,
There are many people who do make money by selling their primary residence
and moving to a less expensive area.

I know people who lived in bungalows on the west coast, and then purchased
mansions when they left. If someone lived in Naples, and then retired
elsewhere, they could downsize and make a very tidy profit living
purchasing a home in most other areas of the US.

Or they could do a reverse mortgage and retire off the 1000% increase in
equity that they accumulate over the the next 25 years.

NOYB September 19th 05 01:44 PM

"thunder" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 18:07:34 +0000, NOYB wrote:

I figure that once the NE slows, we'll soon follow. They'll be a
slowdown, but never a correction. There are too many baby boomers
looking to retire down here. The SW coast of Florida used to be mostly
midwesterners. But the housing prices in the midwest aren't keeping pace
with the prices down here. So we're seeing more buyers from the NE, the
West, and overseas.

You bought your house for the right reasons, as a place to live and
additionally, long term. I don't see you at risk, long term, but geez,
"never a correction." All the warning signs are there.

I agree. But I don't think prices will "correct". They'll plateau and
stagnate, but not fall significantly. Demand is increasing exponentially
with the baby boom population retiring.

I read somewhere
that speculators are a third of your market.

I've read up to 40% in some areas like Punta Gorda. It's much, much lower
in Naples.

You have people in the
industry openly denying the bubble will burst. Guy, remember "bust" is
part of the "boom and bust" cycle. It ain't an "if", it's a "when".

I agree with you. I see the market cooling, but I just don't believe that
you'll see significant price corrections.

Naples/Marco saw over a 35% price increase in the 2nd quarter alone (4
months!)...putting it #1 in the country in appreciation for that quarter.

My brother looked at a villa yesterday that the seller closed on in July
2005. She bought it pre-construction in 2004, so the price was locked in.
Regardless, in July, it closed for $209,900. My brother was too late
yesterday. It sold for $350,000. Two months and $140k profit. And she had
two offers on it already.

[email protected] September 19th 05 02:16 PM

NOYB wrote:
On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 17:42:30 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

When home prices hit the outer stratosphere, the number of potential
buyers
admittedly shrinks. But the Naples luxury market is still in boom mode,
local agents say, despite forecasts of a housing bubble that some predict
eventually must burst.

A slowdown?

You will get your turn and sooner than later.

It's already starting up here in NE.

I figure that once the NE slows, we'll soon follow. They'll be a slowdown,
but never a correction. There are too many baby boomers looking to retire
down here. The SW coast of Florida used to be mostly midwesterners. But
the housing prices in the midwest aren't keeping pace with the prices down
here. So we're seeing more buyers from the NE, the West, and overseas.

Major money types are calling the Naples real estate market just what
it is, a mini-bubble, and it's going to burst.

Starbuck September 19th 05 02:22 PM

Kevin,
The Wall Street Journal says one has to be careful of any market that has a
large increase in a short period of time, but they are suggesting caution,
not a forecast of a bust.

Who are these Major Money Types and do you have a link to their predictions?
Do they own a "Desmo"?

--

Starbuck

.... Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?
wrote in message
oups.com...

PocoLoco September 19th 05 03:49 PM

On 19 Sep 2005 06:16:58 -0700, wrote:

NOYB wrote:
[...]

Did your self-esteem bubble burst when your fabrication of a fake motorcycle was
shown to the world?
--
John H

PocoLoco September 19th 05 03:50 PM

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 08:11:12 -0400, "Starbuck"
wrote:

Chuck,
There are many people who do make money by selling their primary residence
and moving to a less expensive area.

I know people who lived in bungalows on the west coast, and then purchased
mansions when they left. If someone lived in Naples, and then retired
elsewhere, they could downsize and make a very tidy profit living purchasing
a home in most other areas of the US.

That's what I'm gonna do!
--
John H

PocoLoco September 19th 05 03:51 PM

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 09:22:34 -0400, "Starbuck"
wrote:

Kevin,
The Wall Street Journal says one has to be careful of any market that has a
large increase in a short period of time, but they are suggesting caution,
not a forecast of a bust.

Who are these Major Money Types and do you have a link to their predictions?
Do they own a "Desmo"?

You stopped him cold!
--
John H

NOYB September 19th 05 05:01 PM

wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:37:26 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

Or they could do a reverse mortgage and retire off the 1000% increase in
equity that they accumulate over the the next 25 years.

That's not how a reverse mortgage works. The mortgage company pays a
fixed amount per month (usually based on a fraction of the current
appraised worth plotted against an optimistic guess on how long the
person wil live) and hopes to pocket the appreciation.

They only hope to pocket the appreciation beginning from the initial
starting point of the reverse mortgage. Any appreciation that occurs
between now and when the reverse mortgage starts belongs to the home owner.
The homeowner's equity in the house drops as the bank continues to make
payments. But the homeowners reaps the benefits of the appreciation that
occurred before the payments begin.

They also won't
write a reverse mortage unless the owner is pretty old.

In other words...most retirees would qualify.

It is really just a scam that the banks foist off on old folks without
anyone to look out for them.

It's not a scam. It's a process that allows the homeowner to take out the
equity of the home without having to pay monthly payments on the equity
line.

Here's another way to look at it:

Suppose you live in a million dollar home, but have zero equity in that home
(ie--you owe 1 million dollars). In 30 years, that home is worth $4
million, and you owe still owe $1 million on it (ie--you had an
interest-only loan). You have $3 million in equity on the home. You decide
to take out $2 million of that equity, and put it in an investment that pays
a rate equal to what the monthly payment would be on the loan (ie--you end
up with a net monthly outlay of cash of zero). You can then use the $2
million to live on.

A reverse mortgage does the same thing. It gives you the $2 million, but
amortizes it out over the life of the reverse mortgage. You're simply
taking the money in payments instead of a lump sum.

NOYB September 19th 05 05:47 PM

NOYB wrote:

Here's another way to look at it:

Suppose you live in a million dollar home, but have zero equity in that
home (ie--you owe 1 million dollars). In 30 years, that home is worth $4
million, and you owe still owe $1 million on it (ie--you had an
interest-only loan). You have $3 million in equity on the home. You
decide to take out $2 million of that equity, and put it in an investment
that pays a rate equal to what the monthly payment would be on the loan
(ie--you end up with a net monthly outlay of cash of zero). You can then
use the $2 million to live on.

A reverse mortgage does the same thing. It gives you the $2 million, but
amortizes it out over the life of the reverse mortgage. You're simply
taking the money in payments instead of a lump sum.

The older you get, the bigger the lever you're going to need.

That's true. But considering I'm only 34, I have plenty of time to begin
working towards debt reduction. I have just under 4 years before my
practice is paid off. Once that occurs, I'll have another $6k available in
pre-tax dollars each month that I can use to pay off the mortgage. I intend
to use $3k of that money to go strictly towards principle on the
loan...which means that I will have paid off the house in just under 27
years from now...or when I'm 61 years old.

And that still leaves another $1-2k/month for payments on my next boat.

DSK September 19th 05 07:04 PM

NOYB wrote:
Here's another way to look at it:

Suppose you live in a million dollar home, but have zero equity in that home
(ie--you owe 1 million dollars). In 30 years, that home is worth $4
million, and you owe still owe $1 million on it (ie--you had an
interest-only loan). You have $3 million in equity on the home. You decide
to take out $2 million of that equity, and put it in an investment that pays
a rate equal to what the monthly payment would be on the loan (ie--you end
up with a net monthly outlay of cash of zero). You can then use the $2
million to live on.

The problem here is that you've already made payments on that
interest-only loan that far far exceed your imaginary equity.

Untill you sell it an pocket the cash, equity is nothing but a bubble.
just like the stock market.

BTW back in the late 1990s, there were plenty of articles in newspapers
& investment magazines about how the stock market could never possibly
go down.

I'm still wishing you luck, NOBBY, apparently you have no clue you need it.

DSK

NOYB September 19th 05 07:15 PM

"DSK" wrote in message
NOYB wrote:
Here's another way to look at it:

Suppose you live in a million dollar home, but have zero equity in that
home (ie--you owe 1 million dollars). In 30 years, that home is worth $4
million, and you owe still owe $1 million on it (ie--you had an
interest-only loan). You have $3 million in equity on the home. You
decide to take out $2 million of that equity, and put it in an investment
that pays a rate equal to what the monthly payment would be on the loan
(ie--you end up with a net monthly outlay of cash of zero). You can then
use the $2 million to live on.

The problem here is that you've already made payments on that
interest-only loan that far far exceed your imaginary equity.

Nope. Try again. An interest-only loan on $1 million at 6% interest gives
you a monthly payment of $5000. Over 30 years, those payments total $1.8
million. If you have $3 million in equity in the place at the end of 30
years, and only spent $1.8 million in payments, you're $1.2 million ahead of
the game...and you essentially lived for free for all of those years. Even
if you include taxes and insurance, you still lived for free.

Your monthly payments over all of those years essentially equates to a
forced savings plan.

Untill you sell it an pocket the cash, equity is nothing but a bubble.
just like the stock market.

BTW back in the late 1990s, there were plenty of articles in newspapers &
investment magazines about how the stock market could never possibly go
down.

That's BS. A company could go out of business or bankrupt (Enron, WorldCom,
etc), forcing the premature liquidation of that asset at a loss. Property
is always there. I have 28 years before I plan on retiring. Any possible
correction in the market will have more than re-corrected itself by then.

DSK September 19th 05 07:41 PM

NOYB wrote:
Nope. Try again. An interest-only loan on $1 million at 6% interest gives
you a monthly payment of $5000.

And you have a fixed rate for that 30 years, right? It'll never never
never go above 6%, right? And you don't have to pay taxes on that
"appreciated" property, right? And your monthly bills aren't any higher
in proportion to the size of that 'million dollar house' right?

The bottom line here is that you're living on credit and trying to
convince yourself it's sound fiscal policy.

You probably feel a little guilty because you really know it ain't and
you're risking your family's future. Otherwise you wouldn't even have
posted that feel-good article about how market bubbles never ever collapse.

DSK

NOYB September 19th 05 07:44 PM

NOYB wrote:
Nope. Try again. An interest-only loan on $1 million at 6% interest
gives you a monthly payment of $5000.

And you have a fixed rate for that 30 years, right? It'll never never
never go above 6%, right?

Yes. Wells Fargo is now offering a 30 year fixed rate interest only loan.
The rate that they quoted me was in the mid 6% range.

And you don't have to pay taxes on that "appreciated" property, right?

Can't go up more than 3% every year thanks to Save Our Homes Act.

And your monthly bills aren't any higher in proportion to the size of that
'million dollar house' right?

No. My house is only worth a million plus dollars because of its
location...not its size.

The bottom line here is that you're living on credit and trying to
convince yourself it's sound fiscal policy.

The only debts that I have right now are my house and my business loan.
Both cars, both boats, and any of my other assets are paid for. Credit
cards get paid in full monthly.

You probably feel a little guilty because you really know it ain't and
you're risking your family's future. Otherwise you wouldn't even have
posted that feel-good article about how market bubbles never ever
collapse.

I posted it because I like to argue. ;-) I knew you'd bite.

DSK September 19th 05 07:53 PM

NOYB wrote:
And you have a fixed rate for that 30 years, right? It'll never never
never go above 6%, right?

Yes. Wells Fargo is now offering a 30 year fixed rate interest only loan.
The rate that they quoted me was in the mid 6% range.

Tell you what.
Spreadsheet the difference between 6% and 6.5% over 30 years, then get
back to me.

And you don't have to pay taxes on that "appreciated" property, right?

Can't go up more than 3% every year thanks to Save Our Homes Act.

And do the math on 3% compounded over 30 years too.

The bottom line here is that you're living on credit and trying to
convince yourself it's sound fiscal policy.

The only debts that I have right now are my house and my business loan.

And your house appreciation is something that you're gambling your
future for, staked to the value of waterfront property in an area of
frequent hurricanes. Add that to the fact that you like to plunder the
environment, and you have a real problem with facts & logic here (but we
already knew that).

If Bush & Cheney's environmental policies are carried out for the next
30 years, nobody is going to want to live with miles of the filthy
cesspool that our coastal waters are becoming with increasing rapidity.
And that's not counting the rising ocean level which may put your home
under water (or behind a levee... hmmm, where have we heard that before)
within 30 years.

I posted it because I like to argue. ;-) I knew you'd bite.

In other words, your 'million dollar' house is fiction? Thought so. I
also still think you're a closet Communists trying to discredit the right.

P Fritz September 19th 05 08:09 PM

"NOYB" wrote in message
.net...

NOYB wrote:
[...]

Why is it liebral types cannot understand the "cost" of money. If you can
borrow at a net cost of 3-1/2%, and you can invest at a average return of
6-7%, you should ALWAYS have a max. mortgage.

NOYB September 19th 05 08:28 PM

"DSK" wrote in message
NOYB wrote:
And you have a fixed rate for that 30 years, right? It'll never never
never go above 6%, right?

Yes. Wells Fargo is now offering a 30 year fixed rate interest only
loan. The rate that they quoted me was in the mid 6% range.

Tell you what.
Spreadsheet the difference between 6% and 6.5% over 30 years, then get
back to me.

It's interest only. Even *you* can figure out the monthly payment without a
spreadsheet:

Loan value * interest rate/12=monthly payment

At 6.5%, the payment is $5416.67/month. The total of the payments for 30
years is $1.95 million...which is still less than the 3 million in
equity...leaving you with a net gain of $1.05 million.

And you don't have to pay taxes on that "appreciated" property, right?

Can't go up more than 3% every year thanks to Save Our Homes Act.

And do the math on 3% compounded over 30 years too.

The increase is peanuts compared to the figures that we're talking about.
Remember that you're still $1.05 million ahead of the game before you start
counting taxes. Even in the worst case scenario, the taxes eat up less than
half of that amount.

DSK September 19th 05 08:29 PM

P Fritz wrote:
Why is it liebral types cannot understand the "cost" of money.

Why is it that you never post anything about BOATS?

Why is it that you only post "me too" crap to your far-right-wing wahcko
buddies? Do they need your emotional support? Does being a lap dog make
you feel safe?

.... If you can
borrow at a net cost of 3-1/2%,

Please explain how a 6 1/2% mortgage is a "net cost" of 3 1/2%?

... and you can invest at a average return of
6-7%, you should ALWAYS have a max. mortgage.

So, did you take a cash-out refi to invest in the stock market?

BTW an "average return" of 6 ~ 7% isn't very good for the stock market,
historically; and it still leaves open the possibility that you may need
the cash coming out of a bust year... which leaves you broke in the ditch.

So, who is actually the smart one here? Nobby with his 'million dollar
home' which he can't really afford but hopes the housing market bubble
will pay for, or your 'me-too' BS?

DSK

NOYB September 19th 05 08:30 PM

P Fritz wrote:

Why is it liebral types cannot understand the "cost" of money. If you
can
borrow at a net cost of 3-1/2%, and you can invest at a average return of
6-7%, you should ALWAYS have a max. mortgage.

Some of us don't view the house we live in as an "investment." I've
structured my residential financing so that if I FOAD, my wife will not be
faced with much of a mortgage, even though she earns a good income. That
way, she can decide what to do...stay, sell, whatever.

I started out with a fairly typical 70% of appraised value mortgage on
this house a few years ago. Thanks to incredible appreciation, my mortgage
is now about 35% of appraised value.

And my mortgage is 75% of appraised value. Last year, it was 95%. In five
years, it will be 50%...and I will not have spent a dime on Principle.

P Fritz September 19th 05 09:12 PM

k.net...

P Fritz wrote:

[...]

Harry is proof that liebrals don't get it. There are other vehicles for
protection...i.e mortgage insurance.
THe fact of the matter remains, that if your net "cost" ofr money is only
3-1/2%, and you can invest at a 6-7% return, you are crazy to pay off the
3-1/2%

Bert Robbins September 20th 05 12:37 AM

As soon as my last kid goes to college I will be putting the current house
up for sale and moving into something smaller. I won't need the space and I
don't want to have to cut the grass and all of the other yard stuff, I want
to enjoy my time!

"Starbuck" wrote in message
Chuck,
There are many people who do make money by selling their primary residence
and moving to a less expensive area.

I know people who lived in bungalows on the west coast, and then purchased
mansions when they left. If someone lived in Naples, and then retired
elsewhere, they could downsize and make a very tidy profit living
purchasing a home in most other areas of the US.

--

Starbuck

-- Sacha Guitry - The little I know, I owe to my ignorance.

wrote in message
oups.com...

Don White September 20th 05 04:09 AM

Bert Robbins wrote:
As soon as my last kid goes to college I will be putting the current house
up for sale and moving into something smaller. I won't need the space and I
don't want to have to cut the grass and all of the other yard stuff, I want
to enjoy my time!

Better hold off for a few years. My 26 yr old just came back to live at
home for a few months while he was in-between jobs.

PocoLoco September 20th 05 05:03 AM

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 15:29:30 -0400, DSK wrote:

So, who is actually the smart one here?

NOYB!

He's the one who will be pocketing the money while the rest of you are telling
him how foolish he is!
--
John H

[email protected] September 20th 05 05:41 AM

NOYB wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

You won't live very well on that $2mm if its only worth "half a house."
First thing you know, you'll need to buy a new $250,000 car or a
$500,000 ski boat. You will think twice before taking that $40,000
vacation in Europe. Surely you didn't expect housing prices to go up in
a vaccuum, right?
Heck, you'll be paying your pool boy and gardners $100 an hour (and
getting by so cheaply only because they don't speak English and work
under the table) when houses are $4mm a throw.

You want to make some money and retire off real estate?
Here ya go. This will work for you, particularly because you're in your
early 30's.

Buy up as many rentals as you can find. Yes, they will go up in value-
but although the day will come when there are "do you want to sell
XXX Main Street" letters in the mail several times a month you'll never
consider parting
with them. Money machine. You can have a couple of dozen properties
paid down to zero by your mid 40's if you work at it. Then you can
retire, or not, but you won't ever have to worry about money as long as
people need a place to live.
Not a bad way to go. You will wind up with a lucrative annuity for your
retirement years,and when you and Mrs. NOYB have both kicked the bucket
the little NOYB's can either continue cashing rent checks
("kaching!")or sell off a few of the properties for BIG BUCKS.

If you put all your eggs in one basket, and you have to live in the
basket to boot, that's a lot more risky than owning a variety of
properties in several neighborhoods and price ranges.

DSK September 20th 05 12:50 PM

So, who is actually the smart one here?

PocoLoco wrote:
NOBBY!

He's the one who will be pocketing the money while the rest of you are telling
him how foolish he is!

If he can really afford a $5000/m home payment on an interest-only
mortgage, and is *gambling* that his home equity will rise fast enough
to both pay off the home and provide a good financial return, wouldn't
he be better off living cheaper and investing that $5k/m?

Hmm, this is one of those times when one should "do the math." It's
clear that you and Nobby haven't.

But then, he'd have nothing to brag about though. For some reason,
"conservatives" aren't impressed by sensible living & money in the bank.

DSK

thunder September 20th 05 12:55 PM

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:44:45 +0000, NOYB wrote:

I agree. But I don't think prices will "correct". They'll plateau and
stagnate, but not fall significantly. Demand is increasing exponentially
with the baby boom population retiring.

A real estate bust is not like a stock market crash. Any corrections will
not happen overnight, but they will occur. A very general scenario,
right now, your market is overheated, they are building like crazy,
everybody is getting fat, and the market will never go down. But watch,
you see a couple of buildings completed, usually a retail unit, with no
occupants. Same with a house, here or there, completed with no one moving
in. Six months later, it's bust. The switch has been thrown, and there
will be no new starts. The well financed builders will complete their
projects and hope for the best, the less well financed will leave theirs
incomplete. Now comes the corrections.

The prices will remain high, because no one is willing to sell for less
than they paid, but those that thought they were going to get rich,
leveraged to the max, can't make the payments, will either walk or declare
bankruptcy. Those that have to leave the area, for whatever reason, will
have to take the hit. That's the bottom. Then there are those, such as
yourself, who bought a house to live in, they'll ride it out.

I read somewhere
that speculators are a third of your market.

I've read up to 40% in some areas like Punta Gorda. It's much, much lower
in Naples.

Nothing against speculators, but if they are in the market enough to
effect the market, it's a dangerous market. They don't really add
anything to the market, they just take from it.

Bert Robbins September 20th 05 01:00 PM

"DSK" wrote in message
So, who is actually the smart one here?

PocoLoco wrote:
NOBBY!

He's the one who will be pocketing the money while the rest of you are
telling
him how foolish he is!

If he can really afford a $5000/m home payment on an interest-only
mortgage, and is *gambling* that his home equity will rise fast enough to
both pay off the home and provide a good financial return, wouldn't he be
better off living cheaper and investing that $5k/m?

Hmm, this is one of those times when one should "do the math." It's clear
that you and Nobby haven't.

But then, he'd have nothing to brag about though. For some reason,
"conservatives" aren't impressed by sensible living & money in the bank.

The conservative live in those big fancy houses, drive big fancy cars, and
own and operate big fancy boats. The liberal/progressives live in trailer
parks, drive ten year old Chevy's, and own rowboats. Oh, when conservatives
retire they usually move to swanky locations to enjoy the rest of their
lives and when liberal/progressives retire they usually buy a new plastic
chair so they can sit out in front of the trailer and watch the world go by.

NOYB September 20th 05 02:43 PM

"DSK" wrote in message
So, who is actually the smart one here?

PocoLoco wrote:
NOBBY!

He's the one who will be pocketing the money while the rest of you are
telling
him how foolish he is!

If he can really afford a $5000/m home payment on an interest-only
mortgage, and is *gambling* that his home equity will rise fast enough to
both pay off the home and provide a good financial return, wouldn't he be
better off living cheaper and investing that $5k/m?

How would I pocket $5k/mo if I lived in some place cheaper? Even a cheaper
place would have a mortgage, taxes, and insurance. Perhaps you meant to say
"pocket a portion of the savings"?

A similar home to mine that is *not* on the water would run about
$550-600k. But the ones that aren't on the water are appreciating at half
the rate as the ones that are on the water. I'd wager any amount of money
that I couldn't save enough money living in a house off the water to come
anywhere near the amount of appreciation that I'm seeing by living on the
water.

Here's an example:
Suppose a million dollar house on the water appreciates 10% per year
(they've been averaging more than three or four times that rate over the
last 10 years though). That's $150k. Suppose the $500k home that is not
on the water appreciates 5% (once again, an extremely conservative figure).
That's $25k. So the equity of the guy on the water is outpacing the other
guy's equity by $125k each year. If the mortgage payment on the million
dollar home is $5k/mo. and the $500k home is $2500/mo., then the guy who is
not on the water can put away about $30-40 k more (the extra $5k is for
additional taxes and insurance) each year in savings. But that's still a
lot less than the $125k net advantage in equity growth for the waterfront
homeowner.

Hmm, this is one of those times when one should "do the math." It's clear
that you and Nobby haven't.

See above. And I didn't include the huge tax savings on the interest from
the million dollar home vs. the half-million dollar home.