Ken Fortenberry

Default Newbie Northern Ontario

I'm starting to plan a canoe trip to Northern Ontario
for August/September 2006. We're experienced canoe
trippers with all our own gear and a healthy aversion
to risky whitewater.

Right now I'm looking at the Severn, the Winisk, the
Albany and the Sutton. Any first hand info on these
rivers would be appreciated, especially pointers to
really cheap air services.

This trip is mainly a quest for a really, really big
brook trout on a fly rod, so any recommendations for
a good taxidermist in Pickle Lake, Sioux Lookout, etc
appreciated also.

Thanks in advance.

--
Ken Fortenberry
John

I'm really confused...why do you have an " aversion to risky
whitewater" but have a desire for "really cheap air
services". Wouldn't really cheap air services put you at
more risk than whitewater?
Ken Fortenberry

John wrote:
I'm really confused...why do you have an " aversion to risky
whitewater" but have a desire for "really cheap air services".
Wouldn't really cheap air services put you at more risk than whitewater?

Any air service, no matter how inexpensive, will by
Canadian law adhere to basic safety standards. Our
healthy aversion to risky whitewater is more an attempt
to describe the kind of trip we want. That is we're
not taking this trip to challenge our whitewater skills,
we're going fishing.

--
Ken Fortenberry
John

I suggest you post some questions on wilderness fishing
news groups to ask others about their experience with fly in
trips... I don't think the term "basis safety standards"
means the same thing to all operators. Some might skimp on
maintenance, other might fly when conditions are
questionable, still other fly when conditions are poor. A
friend tells me about his trip back from the Sutton river.
It is a long flight a late start caused them to fly in the
dark and land the plane on a river in the dark while some
drunk guy on the dock waved a flashlight at them. I don't
know if that conforms to Canadian law and basic safety
standards but I know it doesn't conform to MY personal sense
of safety. I only bring tis up to encourage you to not buy
cheap for cheaps sake

Any air service, no matter how inexpensive, will by
Canadian law adhere to basic safety standards....

I'm really confused...why do you have an " aversion to

risky whitewater" but have a desire for "really cheap air
services". Wouldn't really cheap air services put you at
more risk than whitewater?
BeeRich

Hey there Ken.

Just as an aside, you might want to look to Newfoundland for fishing.
I'm from Ontario, but I know nothing about the northern rivers, nor
thier fishies. I do know that eastern Canada has some excellent
fishing resources, and it might offer an alternative as well. Easier
to get to as well, as you fly commercial to St. John's.

Cheers

Ken Fortenberry

BeeRich wrote:
Hey there Ken.

Just as an aside, you might want to look to Newfoundland for fishing.
I'm from Ontario, but I know nothing about the northern rivers, nor
thier fishies. I do know that eastern Canada has some excellent
fishing resources, and it might offer an alternative as well. Easier
to get to as well, as you fly commercial to St. John's.

Newfoundland/Labrador would be my first choice for trophy
brook trout fishing but unfortunately that province has
some really stupid game laws for non-residents. With few
exceptions you can't fish without a guide unless you live
there.

--
Ken Fortenberry
BeeRich

I did not know that. Good stuff to know I guess.

Well, good luck in Ontario. It's cooling down here in Toronto so make
sure you realize how cool it could be. Also, this year has been one
hell of a year for bears. I'm not sure if it's just Alberta, but there
was a ban on the spring hunt, and populations apparently went 'boom'.
Bear attack stories came out of the woodwork.

Check with MNR (Ministry of Natural Resources) and local townships for
news on such items.

Cheers

Karen Golec

You may have already gotten the information you are looking for but if not,
here's my two cents worth:

TAXIDERMY:
- I live in Pickle Lake and to my knowledge, there is no taxidermist in
Pickle Lake, Sioux Lookout, Ignace or Dryden. Kenora and Thunder Bay both
have taxidermists but the one used by the local outfitters is Hawkins
Taxidermy in Winnipeg

(www.mytaxidermy.com).

AIR SERVICE:
- As for cheap air service, I don't know how cheap it is compared to other
operators but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend North Star Air, based in
Pickle Lake. In addition to their charter service they offer trip
outfitting, guided canoeing, kayaking and fishing trips. Even if all you
need is the charter flight, they are still good people to talk to you and
know the paddling conditions from year to year. Their website has ballpark
figures for flights and they vary depending on which river you want to
paddle. Heck, for that matter, if you have enough time you can start your
Albany River paddling trip from Pickle Lake and only need a one way flight
to get back.

North-Star's sister company is Canoe Frontier and I went on their one week
guided whitewater learning trip on the Otoskwin River last year and I can't
say enough good things about the flight, the equipment, the guides and the
management. Canoe Frontier is a first class company.

I know North Star Air/Canoe Frontier service the Severn, the Winisk and
the Albany Rivers but I'm not certain about the Sutton.

www.canoefrontier.com

Flying out of Pickle Lake makes a lot of sense since it's as far north as
you can drive by paved road in Ontario and driving is cheaper than flying.
Canoe Frontier/North Star Air is the only local company that specializes in
flying canoeists up north but it's possible that a couple of the other
fly-in camp operators would be willing to fly you in. Another possibility
would be to fly to a northern community by commercial scheduled flights
(www.wasaya.com) but I think this would end up being much more time
consuming and possibly more expensive.

Let me know if I can offer any more suggestions.

Karen Golec
Pickle Lake ON

. ..