Don White

Bert Robbins wrote:
"Bryan" wrote in message

"PocoLoco" wrote in message
. ..

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 10:23:19 -0400, "Bert Robbins" wrote:

"PocoLoco" wrote in message
m...

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 04:45:41 GMT, "Bryan"
wrote:

Wait! I know how to make this on topic. Do you ever start your
boating
day
with Krispy Kremes?

Krispy Kreme donuts are a relatively new item in my part of California.
I'm watching _That 70's Show_ and a box of Krispy Kreme donuts appears.

Have Krispy Kreme donuts been around a long time east of California
(that's
my guess) or was it out of place as a 1970's stage prop?

I used the word prop, so this really is an on topic post; really, it
is.

We have a KK factory about 5 miles away. As I can't eat less than half
dozen
of the buggers when they're still hot, I tend to stay away from the
damn
place.

Coming home from nights of drinking, in my youth, we stopped at the one
just
south of Alexandria on Rt. 1 and bought a doz. each fresh out of the
fryer.
Damn things melted in your mouth and the doz. was gone in about 3
minutes.
Try sleeping while drunk and on a sugar high!

They closed that place and built a brand new one right next door. Donuts
are
pretty damn good, too.
--
John H

The votes seem to be on the side of Krispy Kreme, so I've gotta ask,
what's wrong with Shortwave? Is he a communist? Or worse, a liberal?

Firstly he has no class. And, secondly he has not taste!

Tom is usually one of the more sensible posters here...aka his
conversion to sailor from stinkpotter.
Once in a while he slips to the dark side aka his 'kill 'em all'
rants.....but that may be just a troll to stir up animal lovers everywhere.
PocoLoco

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 12:02:42 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing
wrote:

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 07:47:32 -0400, PocoLoco
wrote:

The warm part is true, which is why God invented microwaves. I live about half
way between a DD and a KK, but very seldom go to the DD. Actually, I try to
stay away from both of them!

Microwave day old donuts?

There is so much wax in that frosting, the damn things will
explode!!! :)

OK! OK!

Damn, you're starting to make me think you really don't *like* Krispy Kremes!
--
John H

Bill McKee

wrote:

The warm part is true, which is why God invented microwaves. I live about
half
way between a DD and a KK, but very seldom go to the DD. Actually, I try
stay away from both of them!

Microwave day old donuts?

There is so much wax in that frosting, the damn things will
explode!!! :)

I never buy them to bring home! Get the cup of coffee and 2 donut deal.
Eat them, and do not get donuts for another 6 months. They taste good that
way, and is semi healthy by not over eating sugar and wax.

Tom

wrote:

Wait! I know how to make this on topic. Do you ever start your boating day
with Krispy Kremes?

Krispy Kreme donuts are a relatively new item in my part of California.
I'm watching _That 70's Show_ and a box of Krispy Kreme donuts appears.

Have Krispy Kreme donuts been around a long time east of California (that's
my guess) or was it out of place as a 1970's stage prop?

I used the word prop, so this really is an on topic post; really, it is.

Good old KK - Back in the 60's in Birmingham my buddies and I would
stop by KK after dropping off our dates and get fresh donuts right off
the conveyor, dipped in chocolate and served on a plate. A few of
those and a glass of milk would sober you right up. Can't get better
than that when fresh and hot but don't care for them cold.

Marty

link.net...

wrote:

The warm part is true, which is why God invented microwaves. I live about
half
way between a DD and a KK, but very seldom go to the DD. Actually, I try
stay away from both of them!

Microwave day old donuts?

There is so much wax in that frosting, the damn things will
explode!!! :)

I never buy them to bring home! Get the cup of coffee and 2 donut deal.
Eat them, and do not get donuts for another 6 months. They taste good
that way, and is semi healthy by not over eating sugar and wax.

What does wax have to do with a donut? I made donuts at Winchells's in San
Antonio a few decades back, for a couple of weeks, and I don't recall wax
being on my list of ingredients.

Marty

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 02:20:14 GMT, "Bryan"

. ..
wrote:

Wait! I know how to make this on topic. Do you ever start your boating
day
with Krispy Kremes?

Krispy Kreme donuts suck.

C'mon Shortwave, tell us how you really (or is it relly) feel about Krispy
Kreme donuts. ;-)

This thread gave me a good laugh. Apparently, there is no topic,
political
or otherwise, that doesn't merit intent discussion on this ng! I expected
one or two replies, not 10 or 20. :-)

Now what's wrong with Krispy Kreme's?

Other than the fact that when they are cold, they turn into sugared
hard tack? You ever see one after twenty four hours or so? Might as
well stick your face in a bowl of sugar and just suck it up.

And they, like DD I might add, use wax in their frostings to get them
to shine nice and pretty.

Who's donuts get your vote?

PJ's in downtown Putnam. Fresh, has both varieties raised and cake
and keeps the numbers down and bakes from 4 AM to 10 AM. The donuts
are moved from the case at noon and given to a local shelter. They
aren't overly sugared and the frostings he uses are very light and
tasty.

Another choice is Cinnamon Tree at Windy Acres in S. Woodstock, but
they are hit and miss as they only do two or three varieties a day and
keep the volume down.

Thanks for sharing! You also answered the wax question for me. I know the
donuts I made didn't have wax as an ingredient, but I can't say I have any
idea what was in the frosting (didn't make that from scratch).

thunder

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 22:02:03 +0000, Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

I know somebody who lost his shirt with Krispy Kreme what with the million
dollar "factory", another $300K for a store front and all that goes with
running a proprietary franchise - they took him to the freakin' cleaners
and he ended up with a store front - Krispy Kreme owns the "factory".

Exactly one of the reasons Krispy Kreme is having a hard go of it now.

http://www.cfo.com/printable/article...7436?f=options
Bill McKee

"Marty" wrote in message

link.net...

wrote:

The warm part is true, which is why God invented microwaves. I live
about half
way between a DD and a KK, but very seldom go to the DD. Actually, I
try to
stay away from both of them!

Microwave day old donuts?

There is so much wax in that frosting, the damn things will
explode!!! :)

I never buy them to bring home! Get the cup of coffee and 2 donut deal.
Eat them, and do not get donuts for another 6 months. They taste good
that way, and is semi healthy by not over eating sugar and wax.

What does wax have to do with a donut? I made donuts at Winchells's in
San Antonio a few decades back, for a couple of weeks, and I don't recall
wax being on my list of ingredients.

Tom, states they use wax additives to make shiny chocolate. Just an aside
for him. I don't eat chocolate donuts. The chocolate always tastes phoney.

Don White

wrote:

[...]

My favotite donut was a cake version covered with white coconut.
Of course, that's the one Tim Hortons decides to drop.
Once a season I drop into a Robin's Donuts and get one.
I have at least four Tim Horton's franchises and one Robins within
walking distance of my house but I very seldom go there.