Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Cheshire Cat Fish

Default Question about older Evinrude 4hp motor

I have an old 2 cyl, 4hp Evinrude motor, model E4WCNR. I am a little
confused about the transmission, or rather the apparent lack thereof.

There is no reverse gear, you just turn the motor around to go
backwords. But I can't find a neutral-forward lever on it anywhere,
despite a caution label on the top of the motor warning me to shift it
into neutral before starting it.

Or perhaps this motor has a centrifugal clutch? The prop spins when I
pull the cord, so maybe there is a clutch someplace that is rusted
together?

Or does the prop run whenever the motor runs on this model?

Thanks for any advice,
Noel.