Tran

Default Boat and trailer tow weights

Hi,
I'm considering becoming a first-time boater. I know next-to-nothing about
boating, but have been doing some online research. I can probably only
afford something that I can trailer and launch myself; town boat launch is
about 4 miles from my house. My tow vehicle would be a 2003 Kia Sedona
mini-van. It is rated to tow up to 3500 lbs, but total Gross Weight is
about is 5959 lbs., so really I can probably tow about 3300 for the short
distance to town launch, or less if I want to put wife and kids in the van
and go farther. My question is, what size/type boats should I be looking
at? I would like a "ballpark" idea of boat/motor/trailer combined weights,
so I don't waste time looking at ones I couldn't possibly hope to tow.
Since I have small kids, I like the cuddy style more than the bowrider
(porta-potty and nap spot) but I'm guessing they are heavier. Anyone who
could give me some clues, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

Tom
Snafu

I have a 17' Arima Sea Ranger with a 90 hp Johnson 2 stroke outboard on a
King galvanized trailer. Together they weigh in at just under 3000 lbs. I
threw in the 2 stroke part because they typically weigh a little less than a
4 stroke. Here's a link to the specs for an Arima Sea Ranger:
http://www.arimaboats.com/boat6.htm.

Welcome to boating. It's something your kids will remember all their lives.
Snafu

"Tran" wrote in message
[...]

Tran

Thanks for the info. I'm looking at used boats, so it is hard to find
specs. It seems prudent to go to a scale with any potential purchase, but
it does help to knwo what I should be looking at. So is this "typical" for
a 17' boat? Or is there a wide range? Might I find a 20', with trailer, at
3000 lbs or is this unrealistic? Thanks again!

Tom
Snafu

I'm not sure if 3000 lbs is typical for a 17 footer. I'll have to let
others answer that.

BTW, the weight I gave included a full tank of gas (~25 gallons) and fishing
gear.

"Tran" wrote in message
Thanks for the info. I'm looking at used boats, so it is hard to find
specs. It seems prudent to go to a scale with any potential purchase, but
it does help to knwo what I should be looking at. So is this "typical"

for
a 17' boat? Or is there a wide range? Might I find a 20', with trailer,

at
3000 lbs or is this unrealistic? Thanks again!

Tom

Marshall Banana

Also Sprach Snafu :
I'm not sure if 3000 lbs is typical for a 17 footer. I'll have to let
others answer that.

Seems slightly on he heavy side... must be a well built boat. Always
liked the Arimas.

FYI, my pop has a 20 foot Boston Whaler Outrage. It's a center console,
so no cuddy cabin. With a 175HP 2 stroke Evinrude, and 46 gallons of gas,
on a galvanized EZ-Loader, it weighs 3450 lbs.

Dan

--
I wish I was deep, instead of just macho.

-- Tyrone Power

Bowgus

Well, if you go here ... http://www.boattest.com/main.aspx ... and start
flipping through the boats tested and bring up the specs on a few, it will
give you an idea of the weight of various types, sizes. Then maybe go to a
manufacturer's site for more detail if a particular type catches your eye.

Tran" wrote in message
[...]

Woodchuck

Remember Gross Weight also includes what's extra inside the vehicle. So if
you, the wife, the kids, the food totals 800lbs then what you put on the
back can only total 2700lbs. Also consider how may horses and engine size in
your van.

"Tran" wrote in message
[...]

Tran

Thanks to all for the info. Still interested to hear from others who feel
like posting info on their knowledge of tow weights. In the meantime I'll
check out this site.
-rick-

"Tran" wrote ...
Thanks for the info. I'm looking at used boats, so it is hard to find
specs. It seems prudent to go to a scale with any potential purchase, but
it does help to knwo what I should be looking at. So is this "typical" for
a 17' boat? Or is there a wide range? Might I find a 20', with trailer, at
3000 lbs or is this unrealistic? Thanks again!

My 20' aluminum 5.7L inboard jet weighs 4500 lbs including aluminum trailer,
gas, food, ice, etc.

-rick-

"-rick-" wrote in message

"Tran" wrote ...
Thanks for the info. I'm looking at used boats, so it is hard to find
specs. It seems prudent to go to a scale with any potential purchase, but
it does help to knwo what I should be looking at. So is this "typical" for
a 17' boat? Or is there a wide range? Might I find a 20', with trailer, at
3000 lbs or is this unrealistic? Thanks again!

My 20' aluminum 5.7L inboard jet weighs 4500 lbs including aluminum trailer,
gas, food, ice, etc.

I forgot to include that the manufacturers dry weght for the boat was 2500 lbs
and it holds 60 gallons of fuel.

Two more terms - Deep Vee and "Cow Catcher" Gary Warner General 4 April 21st 04 04:21 PM
Boat fell off trailer bb General 31 January 27th 04 10:22 PM
Where to find ramp stories? designo General 15 December 9th 03 09:57 PM
TRADE speed/ski boat for SUV or ??? (pictures) SALE - TRADE General 0 October 14th 03 02:36 AM
Serious problem in Loading the boat back on Trailer R3ALLY NEWBIE General 6 September 6th 03 07:31 AM