B. Alexander

Default Merc 3.0 clunks into gear

Hi,
I've got a 20' bowrider with a 3.0l mercruiser inboard and an Alpha 1
outdrive. Whenever I shift from neutral to forward/reverse, I can hear and
feel a fairly loud clunk sound. Is this normal (it's my first boat) or
should the shifting be smooth? If not, any suggestions on what might cause
this to happen?
Thanks.

Eisboch

"B. Alexander" wrote in message
Hi,
I've got a 20' bowrider with a 3.0l mercruiser inboard and an Alpha 1
outdrive. Whenever I shift from neutral to forward/reverse, I can hear and
feel a fairly loud clunk sound. Is this normal (it's my first boat) or
should the shifting be smooth? If not, any suggestions on what might cause
this to happen?
Thanks.

A "clunk" is normal. A "grind" and "crunch" is not.

Eisboch

gatt

"B. Alexander" wrote in message

Hi,
I've got a 20' bowrider with a 3.0l mercruiser inboard and an Alpha 1
outdrive. Whenever I shift from neutral to forward/reverse, I can hear and
feel a fairly loud clunk sound.

The shop manual describes this as normal. It should be a "round" clunk as
opposed to grinding or a sharp bang, but it can be pretty loud.

-c