GWSears

Default 98 Johnson 25 hp question

Hi,
I recently bought a 1998 2 stroke electric start 25 hp Johnson. I do
not know if it has an alternator or if I have to charge the battery
after use like an electric motor. I have not used it yet, only started
it. Someone please help me with this lame question :-) Oh and one
more. Should I use a deep cycle battery or will a regular auto battery
work just as well?
Thanks,
GeoW
John Wentworth

Your Johnson has an alternator that should keep the battery charged in
normal use. A regular battery will work just fine, the deep cycles are
designed for use with an electric trolling motor.

"GWSears" wrote in message
om...
Hi,
I recently bought a 1998 2 stroke electric start 25 hp Johnson. I do
not know if it has an alternator or if I have to charge the battery
after use like an electric motor. I have not used it yet, only started
it. Someone please help me with this lame question :-) Oh and one
more. Should I use a deep cycle battery or will a regular auto battery
work just as well?
Thanks,
GeoW

Bill Kiene

Hi Geo,

Many motors have charging units built in but I think all with electric
strart outboards will charge your while running battery.

You can get a 12 volt marine cranking or starting battery.

If you are not running any electronics, you can even use a smaller battery
like for a jet ski.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA

Web site: www.kiene.com

"GWSears" wrote in message
om...
Hi,
I recently bought a 1998 2 stroke electric start 25 hp Johnson. I do
not know if it has an alternator or if I have to charge the battery
after use like an electric motor. I have not used it yet, only started
it. Someone please help me with this lame question :-) Oh and one
more. Should I use a deep cycle battery or will a regular auto battery
work just as well?
Thanks,
GeoW

GWSears

Thanks each and everyone for the info. All appreciated and welcomed good news :-)
George, Savannah

OT 1986 100hp Johnson VRO question? Mickey General 4 March 17th 04 08:00 AM
johnson lower unit help Tom K General 0 March 4th 04 03:12 AM
Only Slightly OT Jim General 1 November 19th 03 04:18 AM
Johnson outboard cooling question. Chenz759 General 4 October 29th 03 04:07 AM
Power lift retrofit for 48 HP Johnson? Rural Knight General 0 August 8th 03 07:30 PM