BoatBanter.com

-   -   98 Johnson 25 hp question (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/4772-98-johnson-25-hp-question.html)

GWSears May 27th 04 12:45 AM

98 Johnson 25 hp question

Hi,
I recently bought a 1998 2 stroke electric start 25 hp Johnson. I do
not know if it has an alternator or if I have to charge the battery
after use like an electric motor. I have not used it yet, only started
it. Someone please help me with this lame question :-) Oh and one
more. Should I use a deep cycle battery or will a regular auto battery
work just as well?
Thanks,
GeoW

John Wentworth May 27th 04 01:32 AM

98 Johnson 25 hp question

Your Johnson has an alternator that should keep the battery charged in
normal use. A regular battery will work just fine, the deep cycles are
designed for use with an electric trolling motor.

om...

Jim May 27th 04 04:57 AM

98 Johnson 25 hp question

I have the same engine, yes it does have an alternator, and I use a PWC
(motorcycle style) battery. Works very well.
Jim

Bill Kiene May 27th 04 05:34 AM

98 Johnson 25 hp question

Hi Geo,

Many motors have charging units built in but I think all with electric
strart outboards will charge your while running battery.

You can get a 12 volt marine cranking or starting battery.

If you are not running any electronics, you can even use a smaller battery
like for a jet ski.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA

Web site: www.kiene.com

GWSears May 27th 04 07:56 PM

98 Johnson 25 hp question

Thanks each and everyone for the info. All appreciated and welcomed good news :-)
George, Savannah