Chris

Default reading the serial plate

I've been trying to read the serial plate of an old 1975 Sunray pleasure
boat but all the plate detail has faded away. What's visible is the boxes
with the stamped numbers. Similar to this

2 rows of boxes, 3 boxes on the top, and 2 boxes on the second row (bottom).

First box (top row) contains 3 letters and six numbers together
Second box (top row) contains two numbers being 75, hence the year
Third box (top row) contains "Sunray Boats Inc"
First box (bottom row) contains 4 numbers
Second box (bottom row) contains two letters, a dash, and then 3 numbers.

What I want to figure out is the model and serial number.
Would it be wise to say that the first top box is the serial number with the
9 characters?
Would it also be safe to say the second box on the second row contains the
model? in this case SV-155

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Jim

Chris,

Personally, to find the info you're looking for I suggest you
grab the boat's registration and see if it's on there. :^)
Second, are the letters and numbers that you can't read painted
or stamped? If stamped, perhaps you could place a piece of paper
over it and go over it gently with a pencil to see if the letters
and numbers begin to show up.

-Jim

Chris wrote:
[...]

Chris

Hi Jim,

The box identifiers are painted on... but faded all away now..
Boats reg is currently lost.

Chris wrote:
[...]

Jim

Chris,

Are the registration numbers still on the hull? If so, the Dept
of Natural Resourses, or whoever registers boats in the state it
was last registered in should have whatever info was available and
I would assume it wouldn't be a problem with them giving you the
info. Certainly worth a shot.

-Jim