Default ??? about plug wires on Evinrude outboard

Hi,

I have a 1979 Evinrude 115 outboard. Recently it started
running very badly (often stalling out) at low rpms. So I
changed the plugs, and that didn't help at all. Someone
suggested I change the plug wires, but there turns out to
be more to it than that...each plug wire appears to be
permanently attached to what looks like a coil of some
kind. Two of them are joined together by 2 smaller wires
--one end of each is attached to a coil, and the other
end of both are attached to the same connecting plug.
There are four spark plugs, and two pairs of the coils.
Can anyone explain something about the setup, what
the parts I'm looking for are called, an economical place
to get them, etc?

Thank you for any help!
David
Brian D

If it runs OK just off idle, then it's not as likely to be the ignition
system. Same goes for the compression system. What's left is the fuel
system. Noting that your carb(s) have 2 fuel circuits, one for running at
idle (tiny holes, "idle jets" in the side of the venturi) and one for
running off idle and faster (the main jet and up through the (typically)
straw/tube that extends into the venturi). At idle, there is not enough
airflow through the venturi to pull fuel through the main-jet fuel route and
that's why there has to be tiny 'leaker' holes or "idle jets" to provide
fuel flow at idle. At faster rpms, fuel comes in through both and whether
or not the idle jets are plugged or not doesn't make any difference. That's
why I said that if it runs OK just off idle, then it's probably not
ignition. Ignition systems fail more often so people always think of them
first, but idle/fuel related issues come next (or cooling/impeller/pump
problems). So go see if the motor smooths out as you pick the rpms off idle
and if so, have the carb cleaned and adjusted. You might have a particle of
something plugging your idle jets. If your carb has a float-bowl combo on
it (most do) it could also be flooding out from a sunken float ...what color
is the exhaust? Does it run rough and produce unburned fuel in the exhaust
for a minute and then tend to smooth out? Black or gray or white smoke is
excess fuel coming through incompletely burned while blue is oil coming
through.

Brian

--
http://www.advantagecomposites.com/tongass -- My 22' Tolman Skiff project
http://www.advantagecomposites.com/catalog -- Discounted System Three

..
wrote in message
Hi,

I have a 1979 Evinrude 115 outboard. Recently it started
running very badly (often stalling out) at low rpms. So I
changed the plugs, and that didn't help at all. Someone
suggested I change the plug wires, but there turns out to
be more to it than that...each plug wire appears to be
permanently attached to what looks like a coil of some
kind. Two of them are joined together by 2 smaller wires
--one end of each is attached to a coil, and the other
end of both are attached to the same connecting plug.
There are four spark plugs, and two pairs of the coils.
Can anyone explain something about the setup, what
the parts I'm looking for are called, an economical place
to get them, etc?

Thank you for any help!
David

Brian Whatcott

Default How To Diagnose an OB Problem (was about plug wires on Evinrude outboard)

On Sun, 23 May 2004 18:26:14 GMT, wrote:

Hi,

I have a 1979 Evinrude 115 outboard. Recently it started
running very badly (often stalling out) at low rpms. So I
changed the plugs, and that didn't help at all. Someone
suggested I change the plug wires, but there turns out to
be more to it than that...each plug wire appears to be
permanently attached to what looks like a coil of some
kind. Two of them are joined together by 2 smaller wires
--one end of each is attached to a coil, and the other
end of both are attached to the same connecting plug.
There are four spark plugs, and two pairs of the coils.
Can anyone explain something about the setup, what
the parts I'm looking for are called, an economical place
to get them, etc?

Thank you for any help!
David

Do this:
Buy a chamois leather and a funnel: buy a plug hole compression
tester.: buy a spark gap tester. This should total less than $30.

While running, does the motor pick up if you pump the bulb?
(Float needle valve, dirty idle jet, idle adjustment)

Shake the gas tank up, then pour some gas through a chamois leather.
Are there any visible specks at all?

Unscrew all plugs, GROUND the ignition leads (I AM SERIOUS)
Test the compression of each cylinder in turn, running the starter for
2 or 3 revs each time.
All values should be over 105 psi and all should be within 10%

Look at the spark plug electrodes - are they grey, black or shiny
clean?
Grey OK, black = rich, shiny clean = water leak in the head gasket
(easily fixed)

Hook up the ignition tester with a gap set to about 35 thou.
Is there a good blue flash as you turn the starter over?
Each plug? (Don't leave loose ignition wires ungrounded - I warned
you)

When you have these five results in hand, there are people who will
tell you how to fix it up......

Brian Whatcott Altus OK
JSE

sound advice. go for it. the spark tester looks like a board with adjustable
contacts on it. Just in case you didn't catch the
warning.........ground the spark tester

"Brian Whatcott" wrote in message
[...]

JJ

Not that it will help you too much but that is a common trick to avoid
having a distributor on a 4 banger. Each coil fires two plugs, one at the
top of the compression stroke and the other between the intake and exhaust.
Two coils firing opposite each other covers 4 cylinders.

wrote in message
Hi,

I have a 1979 Evinrude 115 outboard. Recently it started
running very badly (often stalling out) at low rpms. So I
changed the plugs, and that didn't help at all. Someone
suggested I change the plug wires, but there turns out to
be more to it than that...each plug wire appears to be
permanently attached to what looks like a coil of some
kind. Two of them are joined together by 2 smaller wires
--one end of each is attached to a coil, and the other
end of both are attached to the same connecting plug.
There are four spark plugs, and two pairs of the coils.
Can anyone explain something about the setup, what
the parts I'm looking for are called, an economical place
to get them, etc?

Thank you for any help!
David

Mickey

If you're on the West coast go to www.boatingsolutions.com they helped me
out with my 1986 100 hp Johnson. I had problems with my CDI units and
replacing them worked fine for me but my motor would idle ok but not pick up
rpm's on the water. Now it doesn't over 5000 rpm and tops out at 37 on my
little Thunderbird tri-hull.

good luck
Mick

wrote in message
Hi,

I have a 1979 Evinrude 115 outboard. Recently it started
running very badly (often stalling out) at low rpms. So I
changed the plugs, and that didn't help at all. Someone
suggested I change the plug wires, but there turns out to
be more to it than that...each plug wire appears to be
permanently attached to what looks like a coil of some
kind. Two of them are joined together by 2 smaller wires
--one end of each is attached to a coil, and the other
end of both are attached to the same connecting plug.
There are four spark plugs, and two pairs of the coils.
Can anyone explain something about the setup, what
the parts I'm looking for are called, an economical place
to get them, etc?

Thank you for any help!
David

what year is my 25 hp evinrude outboard mike General 3 March 13th 04 02:56 PM
FS: 32ft Christ Craft Scorpion 313 / twin 225 Evinrude outboard Jamrocpal General 0 February 21st 04 06:17 PM
Evinrude outboard recoil RickM General 0 September 25th 03 09:24 PM
Evinrude 5hp 4 stroke outboard David Samuel General 1 July 20th 03 04:08 PM