Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
*JimH*

Default Drunk boaters

A common scene on the water.

from
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in711940.shtml

(CBS) People who would never drive drunk somehow forget that lesson when it
comes to partying on the water.

"We have cases where people have run into each other on jet skis while
intoxicated," says Judge Lex Anderson. "People have run into islands, and
people have been decapitated by propellers of boats."

Across the country, there are more than 5,000 boating accidents every year
and alcohol has a role in many of them. While California and Florida top the
list, The Early Show correspondent Hattie Kauffman reports, desert-bound
Arizona has some of the highest accidents rates in the country. Many of
those accused of OUI, operating a boat under the influence, end up in court.

"The lakes now are just so jam packed, compared to what they were even a few
years ago," one judge says. "Just the volume of people coming in with OUI
tickets has just skyrocketed."

One of them was Angel Lindbergh, 19, convicted of manslaughter in the death
of her best friend.

"Because I was being irresponsible," she says, "My best friend is now gone."

Make sure to view the video link at the upper left corner of the page.