*JimH*

Default Drunk boaters

A common scene on the water.

from
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in711940.shtml

(CBS) People who would never drive drunk somehow forget that lesson when it
comes to partying on the water.

"We have cases where people have run into each other on jet skis while
intoxicated," says Judge Lex Anderson. "People have run into islands, and
people have been decapitated by propellers of boats."

Across the country, there are more than 5,000 boating accidents every year
and alcohol has a role in many of them. While California and Florida top the
list, The Early Show correspondent Hattie Kauffman reports, desert-bound
Arizona has some of the highest accidents rates in the country. Many of
those accused of OUI, operating a boat under the influence, end up in court.

"The lakes now are just so jam packed, compared to what they were even a few
years ago," one judge says. "Just the volume of people coming in with OUI
tickets has just skyrocketed."

One of them was Angel Lindbergh, 19, convicted of manslaughter in the death
of her best friend.

"Because I was being irresponsible," she says, "My best friend is now gone."

Make sure to view the video link at the upper left corner of the page.

Doug Kanter

This situation won't change until more prosecutors are prepared to charge
violators with murder instead of manslaughter, and put them away for LONG
periods of time. I'm aware of one case where this worked (for automobile
DWI). Just one. I'm sure it's rare.

Dr. Dr. . R. Name

Doug,
It is becoming normal for DUI violators to be charged with murder when a
death is involved. The charge might be murder in the 2nd degree, but repeat
DUI violators who then have a DUI involving a death are being charged in the
1st degree. I am aware of one person who received the death penalty for a
DUI death.

I an not a proponent of the death penalty, but I am glad DUI is not being
aggressively prosecuted.

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
This situation won't change until more prosecutors are prepared to charge
violators with murder instead of manslaughter, and put them away for LONG
periods of time. I'm aware of one case where this worked (for automobile
DWI). Just one. I'm sure it's rare.

Dr. Dr. . R. Name

Doug,
DUI deaths has steadily declined (almost 40% since 1982). Party / casual
drinkers are more likely to use a designated driver.

It appears that a big part of the problem are alcoholics. 1/3 of all DUI's
are the repeat offenders. If they are locked up, they will not repeat the
offense.

"Dr. Dr. . R. Name" wrote in message
Doug,
It is becoming normal for DUI violators to be charged with murder when a
death is involved. The charge might be murder in the 2nd degree, but
repeat DUI violators who then have a DUI involving a death are being
charged in the 1st degree. I am aware of one person who received the
death penalty for a DUI death.

I an not a proponent of the death penalty, but I am glad DUI is not being
aggressively prosecuted.

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
This situation won't change until more prosecutors are prepared to
charge violators with murder instead of manslaughter, and put them away
for LONG periods of time. I'm aware of one case where this worked (for
automobile DWI). Just one. I'm sure it's rare.

Doug Kanter

What's scary about the alcoholics is that some begin drinking in the
morning, and some drivers (and boaters, I assume) are less likely to be
looking out for totally insane behavior. My son just began driving, and I've
been pounding this message into his head for the past month after he saw
someone run a red light at 60+ mph.

"Dr. Dr. . R. Name" wrote in message
Doug,
It is becoming normal for DUI violators to be charged with murder when a
death is involved. The charge might be murder in the 2nd degree, but
repeat DUI violators who then have a DUI involving a death are being
charged in the 1st degree. I am aware of one person who received the
death penalty for a DUI death.

I an not a proponent of the death penalty, but I am glad DUI is not
being
aggressively prosecuted.

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
This situation won't change until more prosecutors are prepared to
charge violators with murder instead of manslaughter, and put them away
for LONG periods of time. I'm aware of one case where this worked (for
automobile DWI). Just one. I'm sure it's rare.

Misifus

Dr. Dr. . R. Name wrote:

Doug,
DUI deaths has steadily declined (almost 40% since 1982). Party / casual
drinkers are more likely to use a designated driver.

It appears that a big part of the problem are alcoholics. 1/3 of all DUI's
are the repeat offenders. If they are locked up, they will not repeat the
offense.

Precisely! The question is whether we lock up offenders to
punish them, to cure their problem or to protect society. I
adhere to the latter view.

-Raf

--
Misifus-
Rafael Seibert

http://www.ralphandsue.com
P. Fritz

"Dr. Dr. . R. Name" wrote in message
Doug,
It is becoming normal for DUI violators to be charged with murder when a
death is involved. The charge might be murder in the 2nd degree, but

repeat
DUI violators who then have a DUI involving a death are being charged in

the
1st degree. I am aware of one person who received the death penalty for a
DUI death.

I an not a proponent of the death penalty, but I am glad DUI is not being
aggressively prosecuted.

But, I wish the pursuit would be of the high offenders, the mindset
here(at least in some communities) seems to be to turn it into another cash
cow for the guvmint.....with overaggressive enforcement at the lower end
( high fines, "community service" counseling,...which drums up more work for
the 'connected' while the multiple repeat offenders seem to be able to get
away with it time and again. (one of my dock neighbors is a cop on a DUI
unit)

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
This situation won't change until more prosecutors are prepared to

charge
violators with murder instead of manslaughter, and put them away for

LONG
periods of time. I'm aware of one case where this worked (for automobile
DWI). Just one. I'm sure it's rare.

Doug Kanter

"P. Fritz" wrote in message

"Dr. Dr. . R. Name" wrote in message
[...]

So, bitch to your government slobs about the situation. You may not need the
laws changed. Sometimes, prosecutors have options available that they don't
use unless they feel the public's not happy with their work. Charging
offenders with murder, for instance.

Hank

"P. Fritz" wrote in message

"Dr. Dr. . R. Name" wrote in message
[...]

And your cop buddy, if not him, has innumerable cop-buddies who are the
worst offenders, but they get away with their stupidity. It's usually along
the lines of, "Ok, brother, can you make it home from here?" or "Just park
your car over there and we'll give you a ride home." or "Let's let your
buddy (sometimes less drunk) drive the rest of the way." or "Give me your
keys and sleep it off. I'll be back at the end of my duty with your keys."

I would love to see a zero tolerance campaign that is well publicized and
strongly enforced on the water. I know that the lakes I frequent don't even
have a sign, let alone one that people will notice, commenting on drinking
and boating. Then there's the good old resorts on the lakes with their
guest docks and the only reason people stop there is to get liquored up
before they get back on the water.

Yeah, stupidity, drinking, and boating put us all at risk, risk of serious
life-changing or life-ending consequences, even those of us who try to have
a safe boating experience. I have no compassion for the drunken fool who
operates a car or boat. But that's just me.