Wade Wells

Default Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Illinois - Paddle Camp trip

Looking for 3 day 2 night + trip in Midwest (prefer MI/IN) with good
current, and minor rapids for multiday paddle adventure.

I am primarily going to scout in Michigan where I live now, but if you have
input on any rivers good for a 3 day or so trip otherwise we want to camp on
or near the river for a couple nights. I prefer something with decent
current so we can do a lazy float in some stretches, and some minor rapids
would be nice to kick things up a notch. If you have experience with a trip
on a river in Michigan or Indiana let me know. Illinois, Ohio are options
if the river is ideal, but would require more travel for most of the
participants. This is for a trip I will plan next year, but I am going to
personally scout all the candidates this year in my white water kayak.

your input is greatly appreciated
Thanks
WW

Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Wade Wells wrote:
[...]

Not sure it fits the bill with "minor rapids", but here's what we have...
http://www.chicagopaddling.org/camp.html

Also, remember that we are in a severe drought in Northern Illinois...

--
John Nelson
Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page
Garrison Hilliard

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 16:19:35 GMT, in rec.boats.paddle you wrote:

Looking for 3 day 2 night + trip in Midwest (prefer MI/IN) with good
current, and minor rapids for multiday paddle adventure.

The length of the Little Miami River from John Bryant State Park (near Yellow
Springs, Ohio) to where it ends at the Ohio River (just outside of Cincinnati,
Ohio).

Here's some helpful websites about that stretch of water:

http://www4.wittenberg.edu/academics...miamiriver.jpg

http://www4.wittenberg.edu/academics...MiamiRiver.htm
John

Stick to Michigan, I find Ohio, Indiana mostly muddy water
from all of the agriculture. There is a book called
Canoeing Michigan Rivers or Paddling Michigan Rivers that
came out a few years ago. It is a great resource. The
middle section of the Manistee has a good current and
camping at rivers edge. Some camping is at closed state
forest sites so you would have lots of privacy. Try
Chippewa Landing Canoe livery for shuttle service. Don't
overlook Ontario, Cross at the Soo and go east. There are
many rivers. You can take gear by train and have them drop
you on the Spanish River, French River offers a lot as well
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

John wrote:
: Stick to Michigan, I find Ohio, Indiana mostly muddy water
: from all of the agriculture. There is a book called
: Canoeing Michigan Rivers or Paddling Michigan Rivers that
: came out a few years ago. It is a great resource. The
: middle section of the Manistee has a good current and
: camping at rivers edge. Some camping is at closed state
: forest sites so you would have lots of privacy. Try
: Chippewa Landing Canoe livery for shuttle service. Don't
: overlook Ontario, Cross at the Soo and go east. There are
: many rivers. You can take gear by train and have them drop
: you on the Spanish River, French River offers a lot as well

In scouts we'd do a 2 day trip in Michigan on the White River each
year. At the very end of the river there is a Dog and Suds Resturant
with good milk shakes too...

The area however along the river has built up quite a bit but I think
there are still some primitive campsites available in the Manistee National
Forest that you can use...

--
John Nelson
Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page
http://www.chicagopaddling.org http://www.chicagofishing.org
(A Non-Commercial Web Site: No Sponsors, No Paid Ads and Nothing to Sell)

Wade Wells

Thanks everyone for all the help so far, good information. Mental note,
check drought conditions before future trips I have the book you are
reffering to and have been flipping through it marking rivers I want to
scout. The Pine is one I can remember that I wanted to take another look
at, but I will certainly check out the rivers you and the other posters have
listed.

I am new to Michigan and in search of a paddle club as well if anyone knows
a good one. I am in Southeast Michigan (North of Ann Arbor).

Thanks Again for all the input!
WW

John wrote in message ...
Stick to Michigan, I find Ohio, Indiana mostly muddy water
from all of the agriculture. There is a book called
Canoeing Michigan Rivers or Paddling Michigan Rivers that
came out a few years ago. It is a great resource. The
middle section of the Manistee has a good current and
camping at rivers edge. Some camping is at closed state
forest sites so you would have lots of privacy. Try
Chippewa Landing Canoe livery for shuttle service. Don't
overlook Ontario, Cross at the Soo and go east. There are
many rivers. You can take gear by train and have them drop
you on the Spanish River, French River offers a lot as well

John

I'm from Toledo...maybe we should start a paddling group. I
like kayaking best!
Noone

Come to Minnesota. Plenty of rivers. Do the St Croix/Namekogan along the MN/WI
border. Not that much farther really. It will be worth it.

Blakely LaCroix
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

John wrote in message ...
Stick to Michigan, I find Ohio, Indiana mostly muddy water
from all of the agriculture. There is a book called
Canoeing Michigan Rivers or Paddling Michigan Rivers that
came out a few years ago. It is a great resource. The
middle section of the Manistee has a good current and
camping at rivers edge. Some camping is at closed state
forest sites so you would have lots of privacy. Try
Chippewa Landing Canoe livery for shuttle service. Don't
overlook Ontario, Cross at the Soo and go east. There are
many rivers. You can take gear by train and have them drop
you on the Spanish River, French River offers a lot as well

Wade Wells

I found this site that lists a number of the paddle clubs already in place
up here.

http://www.midwestaca.org/mi_nonaca.html

Also found some info on Northwest Ohio Canoe and Kayak Club - a club in your
area. I did not find the website for the club and did not want to post the
phone number on the group, but you should be able to google it if your
interested.

If you need a paddle buddy I am always interested in a Saturday or weekend
paddling trip, I paddle a whitewater kayak, but I can paddle any type of
water with it.

WW