Chicago Paddling-Fishing

John wrote:
: Stick to Michigan, I find Ohio, Indiana mostly muddy water
: from all of the agriculture. There is a book called
: Canoeing Michigan Rivers or Paddling Michigan Rivers that
: came out a few years ago. It is a great resource. The
: middle section of the Manistee has a good current and
: camping at rivers edge. Some camping is at closed state
: forest sites so you would have lots of privacy. Try
: Chippewa Landing Canoe livery for shuttle service. Don't
: overlook Ontario, Cross at the Soo and go east. There are
: many rivers. You can take gear by train and have them drop
: you on the Spanish River, French River offers a lot as well

In scouts we'd do a 2 day trip in Michigan on the White River each
year. At the very end of the river there is a Dog and Suds Resturant
with good milk shakes too...

The area however along the river has built up quite a bit but I think
there are still some primitive campsites available in the Manistee National
Forest that you can use...

--
John Nelson
Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page