Jim

Default ( OT ) Interesting numbers (if true)

For reasons I don't understand I am getting sample copies of a magazine
called "UTNE", sort of a combo new age, liberal, holistic thing.

Anyhow page 15 has a small insert titled "Land of the free?"

Incarceration rates in George W Bush's America and Stalin's USSR

U.S.S.R (1950) 1423 per 100,000

U.S.A (2000) 2298 per 100,000

Incarceration of black men in South Africa before ANC rule, and in
contemporary America

South Africa (1993) 851 per 100,000

U.S.A. (2002) 7150 per 100,000

Source U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics Prison Policy Initiative "The
International Use of Incarceration" By Marc Mauer The Sentencing Project.

Don White

Quite the statistics.
What's going on? ...a general lack of respect for law & order?

Steven Shelikoff

Jim wrote:
For reasons I don't understand I am getting sample copies of a magazine
called "UTNE", sort of a combo new age, liberal, holistic thing.

Anyhow page 15 has a small insert titled "Land of the free?"

Incarceration rates in George W Bush's America and Stalin's USSR

U.S.S.R (1950) 1423 per 100,000

U.S.A (2000) 2298 per 100,000

Statistics for USA (2000) would be for William J Clinton's America, not
George W Bush's.

Steve

Harry Krause

Jim wrote:

For reasons I don't understand I am getting sample copies of a magazine
called "UTNE", sort of a combo new age, liberal, holistic thing.

Anyhow page 15 has a small insert titled "Land of the free?"

Incarceration rates in George W Bush's America and Stalin's USSR

U.S.S.R (1950) 1423 per 100,000

U.S.A (2000) 2298 per 100,000

Incarceration of black men in South Africa before ANC rule, and in
contemporary America

South Africa (1993) 851 per 100,000

U.S.A. (2002) 7150 per 100,000

Source U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics Prison Policy Initiative "The
International Use of Incarceration" By Marc Mauer The Sentencing Project.

Yeah, we have a well-deserved rep in this country for being the
imprisonment capital of the universe, along with one of the few capital
punishment nations among western democracies. Oh...we also have a a dumb
ass as POTUS.

Harry Krause

Steven Shelikoff wrote:

Jim wrote:

For reasons I don't understand I am getting sample copies of a magazine
called "UTNE", sort of a combo new age, liberal, holistic thing.

Anyhow page 15 has a small insert titled "Land of the free?"

Incarceration rates in George W Bush's America and Stalin's USSR

U.S.S.R (1950) 1423 per 100,000

U.S.A (2000) 2298 per 100,000

Statistics for USA (2000) would be for William J Clinton's America, not
George W Bush's.

Steve

Yeah, I'd guess the rates are higher now.
Doug Kanter

"Steven Shelikoff" wrote in message
Jim wrote:
For reasons I don't understand I am getting sample copies of a magazine
called "UTNE", sort of a combo new age, liberal, holistic thing.

Anyhow page 15 has a small insert titled "Land of the free?"

Incarceration rates in George W Bush's America and Stalin's USSR

U.S.S.R (1950) 1423 per 100,000

U.S.A (2000) 2298 per 100,000

Statistics for USA (2000) would be for William J Clinton's America, not
George W Bush's.

Steve

If the numbers were broken down by age, you might actually have a valid
point. Or not. Without that information, you can't pin this on any
particular president.

Stanley Barthfarkle

Incarceration rates in Bill Clinton's America and Stalin's USSR

U.S.S.R (1950) 1423 per 100,000

U.S.A (2000) (Clinton as President in 2000) 2298 per 100,000

It should be obvious why Stalin's numbers are lower- (except, of course, if
you're a moron) Stalin simply had millions of people killed, rather than pay
to incarcerate them.

Incarceration of black men in South Africa before ANC rule, and in
contemporary America

South Africa (1993) 851 per 100,000

U.S.A. (2002) 7150 per 100,000

Again, this should be obvious- Under apartheid, people disappeared, were
kidnapped and tortured, and were burned alive in the streets by angry mobs.
In America, if you break the law, you go to jail. Yes, there is a disparity
in the numbers of black folks going to jail. I'm not going to start a
discussion on the underlying social, economic, and cultural reasons for
this.

Source U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics Prison Policy Initiative "The
International Use of Incarceration" By Marc Mauer The Sentencing Project.

Zing

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Jim wrote:

For reasons I don't understand I am getting sample copies of a magazine
called "UTNE", sort of a combo new age, liberal, holistic thing.

Yeah, we have a well-deserved rep in this country for being the
imprisonment capital of the universe, along with one of the few capital
punishment nations among western democracies. Oh...we also have a a dumb

ass as POTUS.

Most of these incarcerations are at the state, county and municipal level,
so POTUS has nothing to do w/ it, Mr. Krause.

Also, look at the FBI crime statistics. Many violent crimes are on the
decrease. Coincidence? I think not.

.....farting in your general direction....

Doug Kanter

Jim wrote:

For reasons I don't understand I am getting sample copies of a

magazine
called "UTNE", sort of a combo new age, liberal, holistic thing.

Yeah, we have a well-deserved rep in this country for being the
imprisonment capital of the universe, along with one of the few capital
punishment nations among western democracies. Oh...we also have a a dumb

ass as POTUS.

Most of these incarcerations are at the state, county and municipal level,
so POTUS has nothing to do w/ it, Mr. Krause.

Would you care to rethink that statement?