Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Gary Warner

Default OT Question: Extension Cord on Refrigerator ??

My folks picked up a free used refrigerator and want
to put it in their garage for use in the summer for
extra sodas, leftovers, etc.

When we put it where it fits best the cord will not
reach to the nearest outlet. On the cord there is
a warning label stating to always use a grounded
outlet and NOT to put an extension cord.

I have a heavy duty cord that is about 12 feet
long. The cord does have three wires in it and
it does have the third grounding pin. And the
outlet it will be going into is a properly grounded
three pin plug.

The cord seems heavy duty. It is the "flat type"
where you can see the three wires. (Not the
bare wire, but the you can clearly see the coating
where three seperate wires run.) And it is not
one of those cheap light duty cords.

I'm figuring that if the cord is heavy duty enough
to carry the current that a refrigerator can draw,
what is the harm in using it?

Is this just a warning to protect themselves legally
or is their some good reason to never use an
extension cord on a refrigerator??

Thanks,
Gary