Default Safe Boating Reminders from the USCG

Almost cannot be repeated too often:

Office of Public Affairs
U=2ES. Coast Guard Thirteenth District

Press Release Date: June 30, 2005
Contact: PA3 Mike Zolzer
(206) 220-7237

BOAT SMART, BOAT SAFE DURING INDEPENDENCE DAY WEEKEND

SEATTLE - As Independence Day weekend approaches, the Coast Guard
urges boaters to make important choices and follow critical tips that
will help ensure a safe and enjoyable weekend.

Boaters should follow these safety tips:

1=2E Personal Floatation Devices: Life jackets - bring one for each
person. History has shown that the chances of survival greatly
increases if an individual is wearing a personal floatation device. In
2003, 481 people drowned in the United States. Four-hundred sixteen of
those people were not wearing life jackets. That year a total of 703
people died in boating accidents with only 127 of those people wearing
life jackets. For more information on life jacket requirements visit:

http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/fed_reqs/equ_pfd.htm

2=2E Stay Sober: An operator with a blood alcohol content above .10 is
ten times more likely to die in a boating accident than an operator
with a zero blood alcohol content. Operating a boat under the influence
of alcohol or drugs is illegal. For more information on boating under
the influence visit:

http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/bui/bui.htm

3=2E Marine Radio: Investing in a good Very High Frequency FM (VHF FM)
radio is a smart purchase. Cell phones should not be used as a primary
means of emergency communication on the water where reception may be
poor or unavailable. A VHF radio has certain advantages such as:

=B7 Clear transmission.

=B7 Strong signal.

=B7 Channels reserved for distress calls. (VHF channel 16) =B7
Continuously monitored frequencies.

For more in-depth information about radios and terminology visit the
link below. http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/metlife/radio.htm

4=2E Float Plan: A float plan is a written statement of the details of an
intended voyage usually filed with a friend, neighbor and/or marina
operator or; a document that specifically describes the vessel,
equipment, crew, and itinerary of a planned voyage.

Leave a copy with a friend, relative or local marina before heading out
on the water. If a vessel has an emergency or is overdue, pertinent
information will be avalable to provide local marine police or the
Coast Guard. A word of caution-in case you're delayed, and it's not
an emergency, inform those with your float plan, and be sure to notify
them when you return so the float plan can be "closed out" and an
unnecessary and costly search avoided. An example of a float plan is
provided at the following link.
http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/fe.../floatplan.htm

5=2E Get Your Boat Checked Before Heading Out: The Coast Guard Auxiliary
and United States Power Squadron offer a free Vessel Safety Check
(VSC). Some of the common problems found are lack of personal
floatation devices, lack of visual distress signals or inoperable
navigational lights. For a complete list of what boaters should check
prior to heading out, or to schedule a free vessel safety check, visit:
www.vesselsafetycheck.org

6=2E Boating Classes

Public Education Class Listings - Coast Guard District 13 A variety
of boating safety classes are available throughout the Pacific
Northwest. These classes are provided through the Coast Guard Auxiliary
in many locations. Classes range from simplified lessons for children
to advanced multi-day classes. Visit the link below for a listing and
description of available classes.

http://www.uscgaux.org/~130/public/boatclass/index.htm

In addition to boating safety, individuals can help maintain the safety
of the community by reporting any suspicious activity they see around
our region's lakes and waterways. The Coast Guard along with other
federal, state and local law enforcement agencies will be out in force
to ensure the publics safety. For more information of boating safety
and what boaters can do to help report unusual activity contact the
13th Coast Guard district public affairs office at 206-220-7237.

Report suspicious activity to Waterways Watch at 1-877-24 WATCH or the
local FBI.

ADDITIONAL LINKS

Boating safety http://www.uscgboating.org/ USCG District 13 Auxiliary
http://www.uscgaux.org/~130/

###

The U.S. Coast Guard is a military, maritime, multi-mission service
within the
Department of Homeland Security dedicated to protecting the safety and
security of America.

View this document online
U=2ES. Coast Guard - 13th District
13th District Public Information Site

Visit this link to unsubscribe:

*JimH*

Thanks for the link Chuck.

I hope you read my apology. Although it happened only after being cornered,
it was sincere. I was cornered and took the wrong road in trying to
explain myself. As a result of that I said things about you that were not
true and were hurtful. I again apologize to you for that. If there is
anything I should do to restore your reputation here I will do whatever is
needed.

I know that a hundred apologies will not make up for my indiscretion but one
more will not hurt.

*JimH* wrote:
Thanks for the link Chuck.

I hope you read my apology. Although it happened only after being cornered,
it was sincere. I was cornered and took the wrong road in trying to
explain myself. As a result of that I said things about you that were not
true and were hurtful. I again apologize to you for that. If there is
anything I should do to restore your reputation here I will do whatever is
needed.

I know that a hundred apologies will not make up for my indiscretion but one
more will not hurt.

Very manly of you, Jim.
Thanks.
Response to your apology posted in the pertinent thread.
While I may have been technically correct on the issue in question, I
am not without blame for the manner in which the discussion evolved or
my aggressive pursuit of you into said corner, so an apology in return
is certainly warranted.

Don't worry about my reputation. :-) Being Gould is just like living
life as an onion. Some people really like onions a lot, others can't
stand even the thought that an onion have been within 10-feet of
something they plan to eat, but few folks are without an opinion. It's
OK to be on the "don't like onions" side, really it is.

I'll bury my end of the hatchet, and it can stay buried if we both
elect to leave it alone.

Woodchuck

Just don't drink! I have never permitted beer, etc on any of my boats.
Solves a lot of problems that way!

wrote in message
oups.com...
Almost cannot be repeated too often:

Office of Public Affairs
U.S. Coast Guard Thirteenth District

Press Release Date: June 30, 2005
Contact: PA3 Mike Zolzer
(206) 220-7237

BOAT SMART, BOAT SAFE DURING INDEPENDENCE DAY WEEKEND

SEATTLE - As Independence Day weekend approaches, the Coast Guard
urges boaters to make important choices and follow critical tips that
will help ensure a safe and enjoyable weekend.

Boaters should follow these safety tips:

1. Personal Floatation Devices: Life jackets - bring one for each
person. History has shown that the chances of survival greatly
increases if an individual is wearing a personal floatation device. In
2003, 481 people drowned in the United States. Four-hundred sixteen of
those people were not wearing life jackets. That year a total of 703
people died in boating accidents with only 127 of those people wearing
life jackets. For more information on life jacket requirements visit:

http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/fed_reqs/equ_pfd.htm

2. Stay Sober: An operator with a blood alcohol content above .10 is
ten times more likely to die in a boating accident than an operator
with a zero blood alcohol content. Operating a boat under the influence
of alcohol or drugs is illegal. For more information on boating under
the influence visit:

http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/bui/bui.htm

3. Marine Radio: Investing in a good Very High Frequency FM (VHF FM)
radio is a smart purchase. Cell phones should not be used as a primary
means of emergency communication on the water where reception may be
poor or unavailable. A VHF radio has certain advantages such as:

· Clear transmission.

· Strong signal.

· Channels reserved for distress calls. (VHF channel 16) ·
Continuously monitored frequencies.

For more in-depth information about radios and terminology visit the
link below. http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/metlife/radio.htm

4. Float Plan: A float plan is a written statement of the details of an
intended voyage usually filed with a friend, neighbor and/or marina
operator or; a document that specifically describes the vessel,
equipment, crew, and itinerary of a planned voyage.

Leave a copy with a friend, relative or local marina before heading out
on the water. If a vessel has an emergency or is overdue, pertinent
information will be avalable to provide local marine police or the
Coast Guard. A word of caution-in case you're delayed, and it's not
an emergency, inform those with your float plan, and be sure to notify
them when you return so the float plan can be "closed out" and an
unnecessary and costly search avoided. An example of a float plan is
provided at the following link.
http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/fe.../floatplan.htm

5. Get Your Boat Checked Before Heading Out: The Coast Guard Auxiliary
and United States Power Squadron offer a free Vessel Safety Check
(VSC). Some of the common problems found are lack of personal
floatation devices, lack of visual distress signals or inoperable
navigational lights. For a complete list of what boaters should check
prior to heading out, or to schedule a free vessel safety check, visit:
www.vesselsafetycheck.org

6. Boating Classes

[...]

U.S. Coast Guard - 13th District
13th District Public Information Site

Visit this link to unsubscribe:

Shortwave Sportfishing

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 19:31:13 -0400, "Woodchuck"
wrote:

Just don't drink! I have never permitted beer, etc on any of my boats.
Solves a lot of problems that way!

Damn straight.

Woodchuck wrote:
Just don't drink! I have never permitted beer, etc on any of my boats.
Solves a lot of problems that way!

I agree that it's very important for the skipper to be blowing "zero"
when the boat is underway, (and for several hours prior to getting
underway) but you don't allow your guests to have a beer of a glass of
wine? Maybe on a small, open boat that would make some sense, but if
you're going to anchor overnight it seems a bit harsh to restrict
choice of beverages to iced tea or diet cola for a sunset dinner.

Every boat and situation is different. Why did you conclude that for
your boat and your situation everybody aboard must abstain at all times?