Default Sudden cooling failure on Honda 9.9

Hi all,

I have a Honda 9.9 on my Catalina 22. Last time I used it, it ran fine
and had a strong stream from the telltale.

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I didn't flush it immediately after use. A
week later, I went to flush it and there was no water coming from the
telltale.

There is also a ear-piercing, high-pitched squeal when the motor's
running that I don't remember occurring previously. (The motor's new to
me, so I'm not intimately familiar with its sounds and idiosyncracies.)

The PO replaced the impeller just before sale. I've read in other posts
that these engines clog easily in sal****er, but after only two uses
and so suddenly?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,