Lochawe

Default Boat hap/tarp cleats?

Hi,

I have a 14 foot dijon fishing boat normally kept in garage. This year
we will be leaving it on the loch so decided to make a hap/tarp for it.
We got a strong plastic cover, measured it and put eyelets every foot
or so round edges and threaded 5mm bungee cord through it.

Now the question...

What is the best way to attach it to the boat?

We thought single screw in hooks every foot or so round the gunnels,
but they would twist, then we thought about cleats every foot or so to
strech the bungee down over,

Anyone any ideas, is there a special name for these "hooks"

Kinda new to this so thanks to anyone who can help.

Dave

John H

On 28 Jun 2005 03:49:03 -0700, "Lochawe" wrote:

Hi,

I have a 14 foot dijon fishing boat normally kept in garage. This year
we will be leaving it on the loch so decided to make a hap/tarp for it.
We got a strong plastic cover, measured it and put eyelets every foot
or so round edges and threaded 5mm bungee cord through it.

Now the question...

What is the best way to attach it to the boat?

We thought single screw in hooks every foot or so round the gunnels,
but they would twist, then we thought about cleats every foot or so to
strech the bungee down over,

Anyone any ideas, is there a special name for these "hooks"

Kinda new to this so thanks to anyone who can help.

Dave

I'd go clear under the boat to the other side. Cut some chunks of rope, put
loops in each end, then bungee cord the ropes to the eyes on the tarp. I
wouldn't make more holes in my boat.
--
John H

Butch Davis

An option would be to increase the number of eyelets around the perimeter
of the tarp. Then use a single long line and weave it through all the
eyelets. The line will now follow the perimeter of the tarp. Then ensure
the perimeter of the tarp falls below the rubrail of your boat but above the
waterline. Draw the rope tight and secure the ends with a proper knot.
You'll want to exercise a lot of caution to absolutely ensure the tarp will
not allow rain to enter the boat. A lot of boats sink at the mooring every
off season.

Good luck.

Butch
wrote:

[...]

Robert or Karen Swarts

My boat came equipped with some devices specifically designed for this
purpose. They are held to the underside of the gunwales with two small
screws. They are fashioned out of flat stainless steel bent over to form a
shallow hook that is not sufficiently pointed or sharp to gouge you or other
materials. I have not looked for them, so I can't advise where they are
available.

BS

"Lochawe" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I have a 14 foot dijon fishing boat normally kept in garage. This year
we will be leaving it on the loch so decided to make a hap/tarp for it.
We got a strong plastic cover, measured it and put eyelets every foot
or so round edges and threaded 5mm bungee cord through it.

Now the question...

What is the best way to attach it to the boat?

We thought single screw in hooks every foot or so round the gunnels,
but they would twist, then we thought about cleats every foot or so to
strech the bungee down over,

Anyone any ideas, is there a special name for these "hooks"

Kinda new to this so thanks to anyone who can help.

Dave

Lochawe

Thanks all,

I would run ropes under it but it will be on and off all summer and
permanentley moored so that would be a bit of hassle.

I also like the idea of stretching it below the rubrail, I have seen
this done on open fishing boats and works well, but our boat has a
cuddy so it is not uniform all the way round, we have threaded the
bungee in and out the tarp eyelets all the way round...so Robert
whatever you have on your boat is what I am looking for.

Think i will go with small cleats (like the ones used for tying boat
up) under the rubrail and up and over the cabin, then strech the bungee
over them.

Thanks for the input all.

Dave

Bought a Reinel 26' FamilySailor ASA 290 August 11th 04 02:29 PM
What's a good sail boat to buy to live on? Wilfred Johnson Cruising 8 July 7th 04 01:57 AM