bb

Default Another Beautiful Bay Day!

On Thu, 13 May 2004 19:31:38 -0400, John H
wrote:

I occasionally see people fishing from their sailboats, but I've never
seen anyone sailing in their fishing boat.

bb

Does holding up a bikini top (or bottom) count?

Yes, but in a different way.

bb
Calif Bill

"John H" wrote in message

With my buddy Rich (better known as "Gimp") I took the "PocoLoco" out for

her
first fishing trip after my trip to Holland. We left the dock about 7:15,

headed
for buoy #83 east of Deale. Upon hitting 30' of water we put the lines

out, two
umbrella rigs and two tandem parachute rigs. Within 30 minutes one of the

reels
began screaming and we pulled in a 35" rockfish on a chartreuse parachute.
(That's similar to a bucktail, with a plastic 9" sassy shad attached.) The

fish
put up a decent fight, although rockfish are not known for their fights.

We continued trolling for about four more hours, but didn't even have a

bite. At
$2.20 per gallon for gas, a total of five hours trolling at a four gallon

per
hour fuel consumption rate, that fish cost about $44. Not bad for a nice
rockfish, only a little over $1 per inch!

The weather was spectacular, light breeze, waves about one foot. It was a
gorgeous day!

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

I do not understand the trolling for stripers with umbrella rigs. No wonder
there is little fight. Too much gear. We troll for stripers in the
Sacramento Delta and SF bay with either HairRaisers or rebels with a worm
tail trailer. That way we can catch them on 12-17# line. Fight well.
Bill

Calif Bill

"bb" wrote in message
On Thu, 13 May 2004 16:04:01 -0400, John H
wrote:

I see a lot of sailboats in the bay, but never see anyone fishing from

them.

I occasionally see people fishing from their sailboats, but I've never
seen anyone sailing in their fishing boat.

bb

Then you have never seen people fishing from sailboats.

Bert Robbins

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
link.net...

"John H" wrote in message

[...]

The Chesapeake Bay is a magical fishing place. If you have ever been jigging
for Sea Trout, weakfish, and have been slowly pulling the Sea Trout up to
the surface to and just as the Sea Trout gets to the surface you feel a pull
on the line and see a flash and then realize that half of your Sea Trout is
gone. What just happened is that a blue fish has eaten your dinner.

Also, you can catch spot, flounder and blue fish all within the same 30
minute time frame from the shore.

Harry Krause

Calif Bill wrote:

"John H" wrote in message

[...]

There is a growing contingent of fishermen in Chesapeake Bay who are
beginning to realize that when you use an umbrella rig, what you really
are doing is catching heavy metal. Stripers are not great fighters,
especially on the heavy tackle you need to handle the typical umbrella rig.

Many fishermen have good success trolling for stripers with parachute
jigs tipped with artificials. I use these once in a while, but I use the
lightest chutes around...and I use fairly light tackle, even when
trolling for stripers.

There are a couple of places between where Herring fishes and I fish
where you can catch stripers by trolling nothing more than a real or
artificial sandworm. Sandworms are the traditional striper trolling bait
up north, and they work in the Bay, too.

I've also caught stripers while anchored near structure...using chunk bait.

The endless hours of trolling heavy rigs for stripers...and then reeling
in a heavy umbrella rig...not for me. Besides, at best, stripers are
third-rate table fare. To me, the real Bay table fish is flounder.

Harry Krause

Bert Robbins wrote:

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
link.net...

"John H" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

In the right places you can catch flounder and seatrout 100 feet from
shore. Blues can be anywhere, and spot are also a near shore variety.
In the southern bay, tautogs, reds, and occasional pelagics.
Steven Shelikoff

DSK wrote:
John H wrote:

The increase hurts a little, but it amounts to only a couple dollars
for a trip.

Agreed. We see the effect of higher prices more in driving to the boat
than in use of the boat. Fuel is a very small cost of ownership; unless
you have a real gas-guzzler of a fast boat and use it at high speed a lot.

That's sort of the same thing as with a car though. Fuel is maybe only
1/3rd the cost per mile of driving an average car. The latest increases
of maybe 0.20 per gal in the the last few weeks are around a 10%
increase. 1/3rd of that is around a 3% increase in the total cost per
mile of driving your car in the last few weeks. You just notice the
fuel costs more than the other costs (maintenance, insurance,
depreciation, cost of money tied up in the car, loan interest, etc.)
because it's coming out of your pocket at the pump every time you fill up.

Steve

John H

On Fri, 14 May 2004 02:27:22 GMT, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

"John H" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

About half of the fish I've caught were on umbrellas, the other half on
parachutes (similar to a buck tail with a plastic shad).

When caught on the umbrella, there is not much fight. More like dragging a
Volkswagen through the water. But, they still taste just as good.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

Beautiful day on the Bay John H General 56 October 19th 04 01:43 AM
Beautiful day on the Bay - again! (Repost) John H General 3 April 21st 04 12:36 AM
Diesel troubleshooting Mike General 38 March 25th 04 07:24 PM
A beautiful couple of days boating! thunder General 10 March 10th 04 06:38 AM
destroying my beautiful new boat Jesse Dinkin General 9 August 18th 03 05:46 AM