Al Hartkopf

Default Plugs, Oil, and Filter

So I'm about to climb up in the boat and check the number on the oil
filter and plugs. I'm going to change the oil and filter, fuel filter,
and plugs. The lady I bought the boat from had a zippered case full of
SeaRay paraphenalia, but nowere in there does it advise plug or filter
number. It's a 4.3 L normally aspirated v6 chevy.
Any ideas on the plugs and filters? Don't say Mercury, because there
ain't no such dealer for miles around. I'm thinking Fram filters and
Autolite plugs.
Speaking of plugs, anybody have anything good to say about the
"Splitfire" version of Autolite plug?
Then there is oil. With all the ratings and such, I'm thinking about
using a 15w50 Synthetic. Any experiences with that I should know about?
Again, no mercury dealer around. If anyone thinks it's workth it, I can
order the stuff, but normally these brand names are just ways to make
money on maintenance supplies.
Lastly, there is the air filter. Kind of strange looking as airfilters
go. Could there be a Fram replacement for that as well?
Thanks,
Al

John H

On Wed, 12 May 2004 19:09:46 GMT, Al Hartkopf wrote:

[...]

Not sure which 4.3L you have, but this site might help.

http://www.mercurymarine.com/4.3l_sd_-_190_hp

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
Messing In Boats

I don't think the brand of plugs vary much. I use NAPA Gold filters and
Amsoil 15-40 Marine diesel. Ask me in 3000 hours whether it was worth
the extra $$$

Capt. Jeff

Tony Thomas

Go to www.championsparkplugs.com and look up your engine.
I would recommend you use the Bosh Platinum plugs. Save you from having to
change them for several years - probably never have to change them again.

As for the oil - you are supposed to use straight 30 weight oil. If you
want to use synthetic - I would use 10w30 Mobile 1.

As for the filter - go to
http://www.mercurypartsexpress.com/P...phome.asp?CID=
and enter the serial number of the engine. You can look up the filter and
then use the fram cross reference to hopefully find the number.

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Al Hartkopf" wrote in message
[...]

Calif Bill

[...]

Do not use Autolite plugs! They have no plating and will rust to the motor
if any moisture collects in the bilge. I prefer the NGK plugs. If it is
the GM high output electronic ignition, be prepared for sticker shock on the
rotor and cap. I just replaced the ones on my wifes 96 Blazer. $48.
Normally, no airfilter in a boat, a spark arrestor is used.

William G. Andersen

I don't know if there's any difference between brands of plugs. I read in
another newsgroup that the SplitFires didn't perform any differently than
regular plugs.
I could never see a reason for going to synthetic oil. I think you have to
be sure that all of the regular oil is completed removed before adding
synthetic.
There's no air filter - it's a spark arrestor. Just clean it and reinstall
it.

[...]

Garth Almgren

Around 5/12/2004 10:39 PM, William G. Andersen wrote:

I don't know if there's any difference between brands of plugs.

IME, NGK tends to have fewer rusting problems than other brands,
especially when running in salt water.

I read in
another newsgroup that the SplitFires didn't perform any differently than
regular plugs.

Yep. The consensus in the automotive newsgroups I watch is that
splitfire spark plugs are, at best, a waste of money.

I could never see a reason for going to synthetic oil.

Less friction (and therefore less heat) means you free up a couple
horses, it's less prone to thermal breakdown, and an extended time
between oil changes are some of the major benefits.

I think you have to
be sure that all of the regular oil is completed removed before adding
synthetic.

That doesn't really matter; people I've talked with just switch directly
after the old dino oil stops dripping from the oil pan.

--
~/Garth - 1966 Glastron V-142 Skiflite: "Blue-Boat"
"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing