Garth Almgren

Default Plugs, Oil, and Filter

Around 5/12/2004 10:39 PM, William G. Andersen wrote:

I don't know if there's any difference between brands of plugs.

IME, NGK tends to have fewer rusting problems than other brands,
especially when running in salt water.

I read in
another newsgroup that the SplitFires didn't perform any differently than
regular plugs.

Yep. The consensus in the automotive newsgroups I watch is that
splitfire spark plugs are, at best, a waste of money.

I could never see a reason for going to synthetic oil.

Less friction (and therefore less heat) means you free up a couple
horses, it's less prone to thermal breakdown, and an extended time
between oil changes are some of the major benefits.

I think you have to
be sure that all of the regular oil is completed removed before adding
synthetic.

That doesn't really matter; people I've talked with just switch directly
after the old dino oil stops dripping from the oil pan.

--
~/Garth - 1966 Glastron V-142 Skiflite: "Blue-Boat"
"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing