Mickey

Default 1986 100hp Johnson saga

My quest to get this motor running is still on going now waiting for 2 new
powerpacks to come in tomorrow. As directed from the group I did a
compression test and all cylinders are equal around 105 to 110 pounds. Next
I did a spark gap check with a home made tester. It showed a good spark on
all four cylinders and it was a big hit with my boys as they both had to
take turns turning over the motor to see it spark.

When I indexed the flywheel for the TDC of all four pistons and checked for
the proper firing with an induction type timing light the problem was in a
double firing power pack. With the timing light on cylinder one I saw
cylinder III firing and also switching to cylinder III I also had cylinder
III firing. To isolate this from the charging coil and timerbase I swapped
powerpacks and the problem followed the bad powerpack!

I had just used hash marks II and IIII on the flywheel for the other side
and with the double firing it looked like II IIII thinking I had a six
cylinder motor for a minute there. Even though the powerpacks cost $100.00
it was much better than the $500.00 it would be to replace the stator and
timerbase on this motor. I order two powerpacks so that hopefully I'll have
a dependable motor after I install these powerpacks. I'll keep the old good
one as a spare.

Thanks to the group for all the help

Mick

1986 Johnson 70 Overheating Eldon Cutlip General 24 June 16th 04 01:39 AM
Fouled plugs...1986 100hp Johnson Comm Mickey General 6 May 4th 04 01:52 AM
1986 100HP Comm...It lives! Mickey General 0 April 27th 04 05:41 AM
1986 100hp Johnson VRO Mickey General 0 March 17th 04 05:31 PM
OT 1986 100hp Johnson VRO question? Mickey General 4 March 17th 04 08:00 AM