Jim Rojas

Default Help: 1976 OMC Outdrive

Does anyone know how to repair the electric shift solenoid system on a 1976
OMC outdrive? I have the Clymer manual, but I am very unclear how this is
done.

Thanks

Jim Rojas

WRH

Default 1976 OMC Outdrive

Since you have a manual, I assume you already know you have 2 shifting coils
in the lower unit. Find the dark blue and dark green wires that come out of
the shifter. Follow them back and you should find quick disconnects behind
the motor and just before they go into the lower unit. Disconnect them and
with ignition on be sure you have 12V coming to them from the shifter . Blue
is reverse and green is fwd. Be sure the lower unit is grounded good. If
voltage is good, check each coil for continuity. I can't remember for sure,
but I think they should read around 6 ohms.

--
Bill
Chesapeake, Va

"Jim Rojas" wrote in message
Does anyone know how to repair the electric shift solenoid system on a

1976
OMC outdrive? I have the Clymer manual, but I am very unclear how this is
done.

Thanks

Jim Rojas

Jim Rojas

Yes, I applied power to each leg and got no action or engaging sounds. I
guess my question is how difficult is this to replace?

The trim motor was also not working...once I removed the lower unit, I took
apart the trim motor. The trim motor was shot...I ordered an aftermarket
unit from an ebay vendor for $135, which included shipping. My local boat
shop wanted $329 for a rebuilt motor.

I only paid $200 for the boat...so any time I spend repairing it is kinda
fun. The motor did not run as well. I pulled the carburetor and installed a
rebuild kit. Motor turned over the first try, and runs strong. The exhaust
manifold needs to be replaced, but other than the other minor problems, I
should be able to get it in the water in a few weeks.

Thanks for replying.

Jim Rojas

"Jim Rojas" wrote in message
Does anyone know how to repair the electric shift solenoid system on a

1976
OMC outdrive? I have the Clymer manual, but I am very unclear how this

is
done.

Thanks

Jim Rojas

Jim Rojas

As soon as I figure out where the coils are located, I'll let you know.

There was a splice on the outside of the drive. Someone used an orange
extension cord to complete the connection into the transom. I took that
apart and applied voltage on each wire, using the chassis as common ground.
I got nothing so far.

I will read the book a little more. Maybe it will show me exactly where the
coils are located.

Thanks

Jim Rojas

"WRH" wrote in message
Since you have a manual, I assume you already know you have 2 shifting

coils
in the lower unit. Find the dark blue and dark green wires that come

out
of
the shifter. Follow them back and you should find quick disconnects

behind
the motor and just before they go into the lower unit. Disconnect them

and
with ignition on be sure you have 12V coming to them from the shifter

..

"Jim Rojas" wrote in message
Does anyone know how to repair the electric shift solenoid system on

1976
OMC outdrive? I have the Clymer manual, but I am very unclear how

this
is
done.

Thanks

Jim Rojas

trainfan1

Jim Rojas wrote:

As soon as I figure out where the coils are located, I'll let you know.

There was a splice on the outside of the drive. Someone used an orange
extension cord to complete the connection into the transom. I took that
apart and applied voltage on each wire, using the chassis as common ground.
I got nothing so far.

I will read the book a little more. Maybe it will show me exactly where the
coils are located.

Thanks

Jim Rojas

The coils are concentric on the propshaft. You need to check the
resistance of the coils - at the leads - to ground before you go tearing
apart. Just applying 12v is not a good enough test. You need 8 ohms of
resistance from each coil, and a slight clockwise turning on the
vertical shaft will help engage/wind the spring onto the gear hub. You
may not hear anything inside that hunk of metal just applying voltage.

If the coils pass the electrical test, and still do not engage, the
clutch springs are likely broken.

Rob