D.B.

Default HELP!! I need help with a noisy and whiny Mercruiser outdrive

A friend of mine just bought a 1989 18 feet Stingray bowrider with a
3.0 liter inboard/outboard Mercruiser engine and corresponding
Mercruiser outdrive.

The engine starts and runs great and is quiet. My question is this.
When the boat is in neutral or at operating speed, the outdrive is
noisy and seems to whine whether at idle or when running in any gear.
You can lay in the bottom of the boat and really hear it well.

I changed the water pump and housing and all associated o-rings and
seals and also the lower drive shaft seal where the drive shaft
inserts into the upper unit. I found water to be in the foot before
doing this and subsequently replaced that foot oil as well.

The outdrive ratchets, in my opinion, a little more than it should
when engaging in drive or reverse.
My friend said that she could hear her boat as she walked toward in on
the dock while the boat was moored and in neutral. She said that it
was very distinctive.

The boat runs really well and has no temp or oil pressure issues. She
gets out of the hole really well, with no hesitation.

Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this "noisy" and
"whiney" outdrive? Also, what can I do to fix the problem?

I am very strong mechanically and have the service manual for the
engine and outdrive.

I would appreciate any help that anyone could offer.

Thanks,

Dave

Lloyd Sumpter

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 01:35:34 +0000, D. wrote:

A friend of mine just bought a 1989 18 feet Stingray bowrider with a 3.0 liter
inboard/outboard Mercruiser engine and corresponding Mercruiser outdrive.

The engine starts and runs great and is quiet. My question is this. When the
boat is in neutral or at operating speed, the outdrive is noisy and seems to
whine whether at idle or when running in any gear. You can lay in the bottom of
the boat and really hear it well.

Since you have the manuals, I assume you know the upper unit of the outdrive
is spinning even in neutral (I didn't know this when this happened to me). I had
a whiney outdrive, and it turned out it was the gears in the upper outdrive.
Another culprit could be the universal joint, also in the upper outdrive.

Lloyd Sumpter
(previously) "Valkyrie" Campion 18

D.B.

Thanks Lloyd!!

Any idea what she is looking at spending to get this fixed, also, is
this something that can leave her stranded or is it just an annoyance?

Thanks,
Dave

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 18:30:24 -0800, "Lloyd Sumpter"
wrote:

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 01:35:34 +0000, D. wrote:

A friend of mine just bought a 1989 18 feet Stingray bowrider with a 3.0 liter
inboard/outboard Mercruiser engine and corresponding Mercruiser outdrive.

The engine starts and runs great and is quiet. My question is this. When the
boat is in neutral or at operating speed, the outdrive is noisy and seems to
whine whether at idle or when running in any gear. You can lay in the bottom of
the boat and really hear it well.

Since you have the manuals, I assume you know the upper unit of the outdrive
is spinning even in neutral (I didn't know this when this happened to me). I had
a whiney outdrive, and it turned out it was the gears in the upper outdrive.
Another culprit could be the universal joint, also in the upper outdrive.

Lloyd Sumpter
(previously) "Valkyrie" Campion 18

D.B.

Hi James,

According to the repair receipts, the gimble bearing was replaced by a
reputable mechanic 2 years ago.

Any other suggestionions?

Thanks,

Dave

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 01:53:11 GMT, "JAMES IRVINE"
wrote:

Gimbal bearing?

"D.B." wrote in message
.. .
[...]

LD

Last year my 200 Merc made a "clunk" several times when starting to
accelerate. My brother said he thought it was a skip in the engine. (I
didn't think so, I thought it was like the transmission slipping a tooth or
a dog). Just a couple of miles out, I thought I heard kind of a "scraping"
noise. My brother didn't hear anything. My mother (78) thought she too
heard something "funny". I decided to turn around and we didn't make it
back to the launch before the gearbox went crunch. It not only went crunch
but something almost scraped all the way through the case. I thought I
could find a replacement anywhere for $500. Wrong! I could find one
anywhere for $2000. It took me two days across several states (FL, AL, GA)
to finally find one for $500, which continued to leak and finally returned
it for a $1000 one which I'm happy with. (BTW, if you are in the Pensacola
area I'll recommend a good mechanic.)

The moral of this story is FIX it or at least look at it. (Also, don't
trust anyone who doesn't hear any problem but has no financial interest in
it, especially your Brother!) If it breaks you could be in for many times
the expense that you have now.
LD