Lloyd Cimprich

Default Mercury Classic 50 (45 hp) 1998

I have a 1988 Mercury Classic 50 (45 hp) 4 cylinder outboard and I have just
bought the Mercury Shop Manual for this unit. The manual is quite good but
as I am new to outboard mtc. I have a hew questions for the experts:

1. In my sailing days I had a 6hp Johnson which had a thermostat but I
cannot find where this is located on the Mercury. Does anyone know if this
unit has one and where it is located.

2. I would like to check the compression but am concerned about damaging the
electronics. Is it required to disable the spark, if so how. Manual does not
say.

3. How does one adjust the linkage between the upper/lower carb to be sure
they open in sync. Once again manual does not say.

4. How would I connect a tach and temp sensor. Is it possible? The local
marine store has a box full of used tachs and I would like to put one in if
practical.

5. The engine runs rough but a quick pull off of the top carb indicated
improper float setting causing overflow on to bottom carb. I quickly did a
tweak and overflow has stopped but it idles rough so I assume I need to pull
off fuel system, clean, adjust and re-try. Any suggestions, tips would be
appreciated.

Any other advice would be appreciated. I know some do not seem to be Merc
fans but I admit I like the look and it seems just to need some tinkering. A
little like an MG, Triumph or other British sports car.

TIA

Lloyd Cimprich

Default Mercury Classic 50 (45 hp) 1998 (OOPS it is a 1988).

Boatriggr

[...]

1: No thermostat
2:What kind of control box do you have.. A Merc box should have a Lanyard
(kill) switch. Tho no damge will come from not disabling the spark when
checking compression, that spark is strong, and stray spark is not good if
there are fumes etc.
You could easily do a compression test with the ignition off by using a jumper
and bypassing the starter solenoid.
3:The carbs have a non adjustable link between them. It's a slot arrangement
4: Tach is easy depending on the type of control box. Merc boxes have a tach
plug in.
If it's a binnacle box you willl need to wire it into the ignition harness.
There really was not a good temp guage for that motor. Better to get a water
pressure guage.
5:That engine had been around for MANY MANY years. It had a great reputation
and still has many fans today. A lot of people liked its smoothness, especially
at idle.
In my opinion the carbs are finnicky. Tough to R&R too. If I recall the starter
has to come off. The carbs themselves are simple.
Many people were sad to see that engine go away. It was a expensive motor for
them to build. It also was a crossflow, and not as fuel efficient as newer
motors.
Do yourself a favor and go through the carbs.Make sure they are clean. When you
adjust the mixture, do it on a warm engine, running at idle In gear.
And oh yea, I had a few myself......
Lloyd Cimprich

Thanks for the great feedback. I will check to see if I can tell where the
kill switch is. As the engine looks like new and appears to be totally
original I have to assume it is a Mercury ignition system.

The original Mercury Shop Manual I bought is really good although pricey but
unlike the Clymer manual I got at first it is useful and specific to the 45
4cyl & 50 3 cyl of same era.

Thanks again.

" 5:That engine had been around for MANY MANY years. It had a great
reputation
and still has many fans today. Do yourself a favor and go through the

carbs.Make sure they are clean. When you
adjust the mixture, do it on a warm engine, running at idle In gear.
And oh yea, I had a few myself......

Bill Kiene

Hi Lloyd,

If you don't have luck on your own I actually took mine to highly
recommended boat mechanics for their particular brands(OMC and Merc) and had
them completely tuned and fully serviced. After that they ran well for years
and then I sold them.

I worked on motor cycles, outboards, lawn mowers, rotatillers, chain saws
and cars all my life but I don't seem to do it much any more.

I also know I will not have the knowledge these veteran outboard mechanics
have.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA

Web site: www.kiene.com

"Lloyd Cimprich" wrote in message
[...]

Boots Crofoot

to adj the carbs you get a tool that fits over the carb
intake and measures the flow of air going into the carb. It
is called a flow meeter. you then adj the carbs so they both
have the same reading.
m...