Sam

Default Expanding foam

I am thinking of injecting the expanding foam type product into my
underfloor flotation tank, the boat is a 5m Nesscraft. Has anyone done this
or even thought about doing it? Would it be a wise move? The boat is sound,
I just want to add a bit more strength and quiet it down a bit. All ideas
and suggestions greatly appreciated.
Thanks, .. Sam.

Babbling Brook Photography

The Boston Whaler built their reputation on this premise. They have a double
hull with a foam in between making it an unsinkable boat. Ranger also uses
this in their boats. You won't hurt anything except lose space, just be
careful you don't obstruct any drainage areas.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Babbling Brook Photography

"Sam" wrote in message
I am thinking of injecting the expanding foam type product into my
underfloor flotation tank, the boat is a 5m Nesscraft. Has anyone done

this
or even thought about doing it? Would it be a wise move? The boat is

sound,
I just want to add a bit more strength and quiet it down a bit. All ideas
and suggestions greatly appreciated.
Thanks, .. Sam.

Dan J. S.

"Babbling Brook Photography" wrote
in message ...
The Boston Whaler built their reputation on this premise. They have a

double
hull with a foam in between making it an unsinkable boat. Ranger also uses
this in their boats. You won't hurt anything except lose space, just be
careful you don't obstruct any drainage areas.

Remember, the Titanic was an unsinkable boat too!!

Lawrence James

I took all the foam out of my boat when I replaced the floor and some of the
stringers and did not replace it. If it is against wood you can potentially
trap water and the wood will rot. And don't don't kid your self about
sealing it, water is pretty insiduous over years.

"Sam" wrote in message
I am thinking of injecting the expanding foam type product into my
underfloor flotation tank, the boat is a 5m Nesscraft. Has anyone done

this
or even thought about doing it? Would it be a wise move? The boat is

sound,
I just want to add a bit more strength and quiet it down a bit. All ideas
and suggestions greatly appreciated.
Thanks, .. Sam.

Rod McInnis

"Sam" wrote in message
I am thinking of injecting the expanding foam type product into my
underfloor flotation tank, the boat is a 5m Nesscraft. Has anyone done

this
or even thought about doing it? Would it be a wise move?

Run a few tests on the foam you intend to use before you install it. Some
of this type of foam is a "closed cell" foam and is not water soluble.
Others are "open cell" which soaks up water like a sponge, and others will
dissolve in water.

Rod

CaptMP

Even if the foam will not absorb water ( and most will, even if just a bit)it
will hold moisture against what ever it touches. As corrosion never sleeps,
neither does rot...minutes into hours into days into....
And Whaler owners have noticed that over time their boats seem to weigh more
and more and...water weighs 8 lbs. per gal...Hmmm...
I'm against using foam, but it's your boat.
Best wishes
Mike
Jim

Lawrence James wrote:
I took all the foam out of my boat when I replaced the floor...

Same here, but the morons who built my boat used Oasis. You know,
the green stuff that florists use to stick plants into because it
*HOLDS* water! Lightened my boat up AT LEAST 200 pounds, maybe more.
I'm only hoping to get a year or two more out of my boat anyway.

-Jim

Jim

CaptMP wrote:
removed
And Whaler owners have noticed that over time their boats seem to weigh more

I personally have never heard of this. I know there are a couple
folks out in Ca. who have an old Whaler they are experimenting with
that is obviously 'disposable'. :^) They weighed the boat before
the test, cut some holes through the hull and are going to wait a
year and see how much water it actually takes on or if it will sink.
Can't remember exactly where I sawe that thread but hope the end
results will get posted. Could be interesting.

-Jim

Sam

Thanks for the info, I will leave well enough alone. As I said there is
nothing wrong with the boat, I just wanted a bit more safety but will not be
adding the foam after all. Once again Thanks everyone. .. Regards.. Sam.