otnmbrd

Default All chain rode is for old men

Ed wrote:
Actually.. he is kind-of correct... Most cruise ships run on electic
motors so they are only "running" when making turns... BUT, the gensets
that power them and the AC, lights etc are running most of the time.

I'd need to check with an engineer, but I don't think the generators
used to power the main engines are the same as those used for "hotel"
services.

otn

JAXAshby

check it out, dum-dum.

"keep their engines running" ...ROFLMAO

otn

otnmbrd

Don't have to, dipsquat .... been there done that.

otn

JAXAshby wrote:
check it out, dum-dum.

"keep their engines running" ...ROFLMAO

otn

otnmbrd

Just as Jax left the discussion regarding propwalk, because it
exceeded his knowledge, he has quickly left this discussion, since his
limited knowledge/experience on the subject has become quickly obvious.
However, I applaud his effort to try and get this NG into discussions
other than the various idiot's political rants.
(Only assholes and politicians find politics worth argument..... and
only idiots interject those arguments into subjects with no relationship).

Off the soapbox.......

otn

Subject: All chain rode is for old men
From: (JAXAshby)
Date: 04/18/2004 11:02 Pacific Standard Time
Well, you should inform the Navy and the cruise lines. They could save a
lot of money on ground tackle.

Well, you should inform the Navy and the cruise lines. They could save a
lot of money on ground tackle.

dum-dum, you are. both the Navy and cruise ships -- when at anchor -- keep
their engines running to be used to get the hell out of Dodge should the
winds
become too strong.

Where'd you ever come up with that stupid notion. If they were going to keep
their engines running, (A) they'd overrun their anchor and (B) mights well stay
at sea and cruise around wasting fuel.

Also, both the Navy and cruise ships use anchors totally

inappropriate for recreational sailboat. Navy anchors are for squat holding,
they are designed to be easily stored.

Wrong again. Many of the smaller combatants use anchors with many similarities
to the Danforth which are appropriate to recreational sailboats.
At any rate, the anchors used on ships have some pretty good holding power in
varying conditions (I've been anchored on tankers in wind exceeding 40K, on one
anchor, with no problems).
BTW, my "Contessa" had all chain rode with no windlass/winch, and a Danforth
....never had a problem in all kinds of holding grounds.
So, Jax ..... should I add "anchor handling" to the list of courses you need to
take?

Shen

JAXAshby

shen, as usual, your response addresses nothing of the issue. you are drinking
too much, again.

From: (Shen44)
Date: 4/19/2004 6:59 PM Eastern Standard Time
From:
(JAXAshby)

Shen44

bject: All chain rode is for old men
From: (JAXAshby)
Date: 05/12/2004 04:34 Pacific Standard Time
shen, as usual, your response addresses nothing of the issue. you are
drinking
too much, again.

So you're saying a 26' Contessa with all chain rode has nothing to do with the
discussion....
That a ship at anchor in windy conditions is totally different from a small
boat at anchor in windy conditions.....

At any rate, you seem to be stating that once you've anchored, you're now stuck
with whatever conditions arise and that you would (as expected) be dumb enough
not to make any changes if the loads on your chain/anchor became great enough
to cause dragging or damage to chocks/cleats/bitts on you boat.
There are a number of possibilities:

1. Pay attention to weather reports. If the forecast indicate you may exceed
your ground tackle limits for your particular anchorage, you should be planning
in advance for various variables.

2. A solution may be as simple as increasing the scope of chain.

3. You may need to set a second anchor, the likelyhood of it being all chain on
a small boat will be slim.

4. "Steam" against the anchor rode, to reduce strain (neither fun nor easy)

5. Heave anchor and get the hell outa Dodge!

Only an idiot such as yourself, would just sit there with his anchor out and
spout math equations for stress and holler "I told ya so's".
No system is perfect and all have limitations that need to be addressed.
All you've done here is point out another boating subject you have little
experience with or knowledge of.....

Shen
Curtis CCR

(JAXAshby) wrote in message ...
Well, you should inform the Navy and the cruise lines. They could save a
lot of money on ground tackle.

Well, you should inform the Navy and the cruise lines. They could save a
lot of money on ground tackle.

dum-dum, you are. both the Navy and cruise ships -- when at anchor -- keep
their engines running to be used to get the hell out of Dodge should the winds
become too strong.

Are you suggesting that large ships should use rope to anchor in heavy
weather? Or are you suggesting that smaller boats can't get their
engines started fast enough to beat feet from an anchorage?

Keeping the power plant available at anchor maybe the case for older
steam driven ships - keeping the boilers warm. Not so for most modern
ships. I asked the captain of the cruise ship we were on, while
anchored at Cabo a couple of years ago, if the engines were running.
He answered no. That ship had azipods (sp?) so the drive power was
electric.

I never asked about engines running at achor on a previous cruise, but
it appeared that the engines were shut down and you could feel the one
start just before we departed the anchorage. I say "the one" as on
that trip the destinations were so close together that the ship made
very slow way - on one engine - for the entire cruise. That was also
based on information from the captain during a tour of the ship's
bridge.

I took a day cruise on the USCGC Munro (370' cutter) a couple of years
and we anchored for a couple of hours in SF bay. We visited the
engine room while anchored and I recall the Fairbanks diesels were
shut down. They never started the turbines used for high speed work.

anchor question? Gould 0738 General 208 June 24th 10 01:53 AM
Trailer - Telescoping or Fold Away tongue? Gary Warner General 6 January 23rd 04 11:43 AM
Sigh: The Season, She is Over Harry Krause General 21 November 25th 03 04:29 AM
Stiff Anchor Rode Gould 0738 General 1 September 9th 03 01:16 AM