Gould 0738

Default Stiff Anchor Rode

If you soaked it for three days and it won't soften up, maybe it's too
saturated with mud.

If it were mine, I'd junk it. It could add "parting under stress" to its list
of recent
weird behaviors. As cheap as buying a new anchor, much cheaper than buying a
new boat. :-)
Keith

I can promise you'll love the all chain rode! Just make sure you have a way
to hose it off while bringing it up.

I don't know how much rode you have, but have you thought about taking it to
a Laundromat and washing it in one of their big capacity machines? If you
could run it through a gentle cycle with Woolite and fabric softener, it
might bring it back to life. If not, time to get something new.

--

Keith
__
"SeaDweller" wrote in message
Greetings,

The anchor rode on my Sea Ray has gotten so stiff/hard that I can no
longer use the windlass. It comes straight out of the anchor locker
like a piece of rebar, and jumps from the windlass, which in certain
situations, can be a nightmarish experience!

I pulled it from the anchor locker, and the entire rode is so stiff
you can barely manipulate it. I've softened my other lines by soaking
them in fabric softener, so I got a big plastic trash can, worked the
rode in, filled it with $20 worth of fabric softener and water, and
let it sit on the bow for 3 days.

After all that effort, the line is still as stiff as a telephone
poll......Is the rode shot at this point? Any other "miracle" cures?
I'm not sure why the fabric softener didn't work in this case, as it's
worked perfectly on my other lines.

I'm very, very tempted to move to an all chain rode..........