JAXAshby

Default All chain rode is for old men

Old men too weak to lift 100 feet of nylon rope plus an anchor insist on all
chain rode -- claiming it is safer -- because chain fits through an electric
windlass with less effort than tailing a rope on an electric windlass.

Also, people who are scared to death of the water think all chain is somehow
"stronger" than rope and thus they want all chain to save themselves from their
own mistakes.

Fact is, all chain WILL bust out an anchor -- or break deck chocks loose --
when the winds pick up and the waves start.

all chain is for weak old men in motorboats with sticks and fraidy-cats
whowon't motor down the ICW without listening to Herb.
Calif Bill

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
Old men too weak to lift 100 feet of nylon rope plus an anchor insist on

all
chain rode -- claiming it is safer -- because chain fits through an

electric
windlass with less effort than tailing a rope on an electric windlass.

Also, people who are scared to death of the water think all chain is

somehow
"stronger" than rope and thus they want all chain to save themselves from

their
own mistakes.

Fact is, all chain WILL bust out an anchor -- or break deck chocks

loose --
when the winds pick up and the waves start.

all chain is for weak old men in motorboats with sticks and fraidy-cats
whowon't motor down the ICW without listening to Herb.

Well, you should inform the Navy and the cruise lines. They could save a
lot of money on ground tackle.

JAXAshby

Well, you should inform the Navy and the cruise lines. They could save a
lot of money on ground tackle.

Well, you should inform the Navy and the cruise lines. They could save a
lot of money on ground tackle.

dum-dum, you are. both the Navy and cruise ships -- when at anchor -- keep
their engines running to be used to get the hell out of Dodge should the winds
become too strong. Also, both the Navy and cruise ships use anchors totally
inappropriate for recreational sailboat. Navy anchors are for squat holding,
they are designed to be easily stored.

like I said, all chain rode is for weak old men and it WILL pull the anchor
loose and/or break off deck chocks when the wind pipes up and the waves start.
Calif Bill

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
[...]

Not been on a cruise ship, I see.

JAXAshby

Not been on a cruise ship, I see.

not on one that was anchored. you see a lot of anchored cruise ships?

Calif Bill

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
Not been on a cruise ship, I see.

not on one that was anchored. you see a lot of anchored cruise ships?

Yup. Try the Carib during New Years. Lots of anchored cruise ships. In
St. John, both us and the QE2 and at least 5 others were anchored. All the
Holland America boats anchor when they go to Holland America owned Half Moon
Cay. Try Grand Cayman. You ever been on a boat / ship?

otnmbrd

G I think you are trying to say ... they anchor in open "roads" with
a 10# Danforth on three thousand feet of dog "leash" chain.
Actually, you don't see too many of the old "Baldt" stockless anchors on
ships anymore. Generally what you now see is something which looks
similar to a heavy "Danforth".
The average number of "shots" carried, varies but 11 is a good average.
(Jax heads for google to find out the length of a shot).
G Later, dipsquat.
otn

JAXAshby wrote:
nah, they anchor in open rodes with a 10# Danforth on three thousand feet of
dog leach chain.

way to go, dum-dum.

ROFL Trying to start another argument on a subject you know little or
nothing about, I see. ...... "keep their engines running" ...ROFLMAO

otn

Ed

Actually.. he is kind-of correct... Most cruise ships run on electic
motors so they are only "running" when making turns... BUT, the gensets
that power them and the AC, lights etc are running most of the time.

anchor question? Gould 0738 General 208 June 24th 10 01:53 AM
Trailer - Telescoping or Fold Away tongue? Gary Warner General 6 January 23rd 04 11:43 AM
Sigh: The Season, She is Over Harry Krause General 21 November 25th 03 04:29 AM
Stiff Anchor Rode Gould 0738 General 1 September 9th 03 01:16 AM