Rod McInnis

Default A boat for my family?

"John Smith" wrote in message
. com...
My wife and kids are bugging me about a boat.

Why? Do they have boating experience? Friends with boats? What makes them
want a boat?

I would take my kids tubing and fishing on a nearby freshwater lake.
The boat needs to be towable with ability to nose onto the beach.

Okay, sounds like a runabout in the 18 foot range is appropriate. I/O (
Inboard/outboard), 140 horsepower or more would be great. Single axel
trailer is probably sufficient.

We would need to handle 1-8 guests/crew. Guests/crew would need
refreshments and a bathroom and shade from the sun.

8 would be pushing it for comfort on the boat. Shade would be easy, but not
for all 8 at the same time (typical bimini top shades only the driver and
passenger seat).

The bathroom requirement is where things get unrealistic. You can get a
boat that has a small cabin that could be equipped with a porta-potty, but
then I would not recommend this boat for pulling tubes, and certainly not
for skiing. Are you familiar with the term "Checking the prop" ???

Finally, for now, I can't afford the idea let alone an actual purchase!

Buy used. Three to five years old. The chances are that you won't be
satisfied with your first boat, so don't plan on keeping it forever. Buy
something that is new enough that you won't be having major troubles with
the engine but old enough that it doesn't depreciate significantly the
instant you have signed on the dotted line. Get the boat, use it and
establish what your real needs and desires are. Sell the used boat a year
later and buy what you really need.

I know nothing of boston whalers except they have a really cool name and
the one comment I saw tells me I can't afford a boston whaler.

A Boston Whaler is a great fishing boat. It wouldn't be on my list for a
ski boat.

So, which boats (for a northern california fresh water lake) should I be
looking into?

Unfortunately you have missed the boat shows, which would allow you to look
at a bunch of different boats in one stop. Start visiting boat dealers.
Figure out a brand and model that you like and then start looking for a
similar boat that is a few years old. If you know what you are looking for
then http://www.boattraderonline.com/ is a great place to search for used
boats in your area.

If you are really not sure then I would try searching your list of friends
and acquaintances and seeing if you can work out an invite to go with them
on a weekend. You may decide that sitting in a boat all day is really
boring, or you may decide that speed is king! At any rate, going with
someone will at least introduce you to the process of launching the boat,
basic boat handling, etc.

Rod McInnis

John Smith

Thanks for the great info!

JS

John wrote:
We were looking for the same thing last summer. I love fishing, but my wife
and daughters wanted tubing, skiing, etc. We ended up with a 19' Regal. We
run mostly in Tampa Bay, but I have been out on several fresh water lakes in
the area. It handles six adults comfortably for tubing and with the 4.3
Liter V6 we can get our skiiers up. The heaviest is 175lbs. The only things
I don't like about the boat are it has non removable carpet over a glass
covered wood deck. If you do fish, I recommend looking for removable carpet.
We have seen several with snap in carpet on all glass decks. This makes
clean up much easier after fishing, especially if any of the fish bleed on
the boat. The other issue is this boat has what the manufacturer calls a
"FastTrac" hull. It makes handling great, but wreaks havoc with the depth
finder at anything over 15 MPH. This can be a problem in some areas of
Tampa Bay with sand bars and tide changes. You have to make sure you are
familiar with the area you're boating in and double check often prior to
jetting around.
"Dan Krueger" wrote in message
hlink.net...

If you want top of the line...

http://www.cobaltboats.com/model_line/240sd/index.html

Whatever you buy, make sure you have a local dealer who can service the

boat and

engine.

Dan

John Smith wrote:

My wife and kids are bugging me about a boat.

I know nothing of boats and even less about which brands/models are
worth my search time.

I would take my kids tubing and fishing on a nearby freshwater lake. The
boat needs to be towable with ability to nose onto the beach.

We would need to handle 1-8 guests/crew. Guests/crew would need
refreshments and a bathroom and shade from the sun.

Towing inner tubers and skiiers is the primary use. Fishing is
definitely a likelihood, but a low priority.

Finally, for now, I can't afford the idea let alone an actual purchase!

I know nothing of boston whalers except they have a really cool name and
the one comment I saw tells me I can't afford a boston whaler.

So, which boats (for a northern california fresh water lake) should I be
looking into?

Thanks,

JS

Joseph Stachyra

Well John Smith: you certainly said a lot, for 8 people and a toilet.
I would say a 21 foot, with a 5 liter v 8 would do, and a $89 port a potti
from wal mart, it can handle 39 uses of number 2, and I don't mean no2
fuel oil, ha ha ha

In regards to your name, I knew a John Christopher Smith, in Ft.
Lauderdale, Fla. he was the Heir to the Chris craft boats. His father
named the boat line after him. John C Smith, died around 1970 basically
from old age.

John Smith wrote:

[...]

Actually, Chris Craft Boats was founded by Christopher Columbus Smith.

As early as 1915, Chris Smith ran advertisements saying "Let me build you a
Smith boat" under the company name of Chris C. Smith Boat and Engine Co.

The accepted beginning of Chris Craft Boats was February 1922, when Chris
Smith started "Chris Smith and Sons Boat Company"

In April 1922, the Chris Smith and Sons Boat Company ran an advertisement
for a line of boats where the line Chris Smith Craft was included at the
bottom of the advertisement. Soon after this advertisement, the boat line
name was changed and the first boat of the new company was the Packard-Chris
Craft Racer

"Joseph Stachyra" wrote in message

In regards to your name, I knew a John Christopher Smith, in Ft.
Lauderdale, Fla. he was the Heir to the Chris craft boats. His father
named the boat line after him. John C Smith, died around 1970

basically
from old age.

Joseph Stachyra

I met the smith family, you may quote something you read some place, I got
my facts from the family itself.
should I say as, john c smith, my friend was dying in broward medical
center. lots of things were in the change
there was also Rodi-Chris Craft that you did not mention, and Chris Craft
was also a Movie Producer, most people did not know that......john c Smith
was heavy set, about 5, 8'' and was a kind and friendly person, even to
the common guy on the street.

wrote in message
news
[...]

John Smith

Since I'm searching for affordable boat options, it is probably apparent
that I am not of that smith clan, let alone heir to any of any
significant monetary value.

JS

Joseph Stachyra wrote:
[...]

arthlink.net...

offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
Interesting boat ride...... Gould 0738 General 21 October 21st 03 02:00 AM
Repost from Merc group Clams Canino General 0 August 29th 03 12:43 PM