Rod McInnis

Default A boat for my family?

"John Smith" wrote in message
. com...
My wife and kids are bugging me about a boat.

Why? Do they have boating experience? Friends with boats? What makes them
want a boat?

I would take my kids tubing and fishing on a nearby freshwater lake.
The boat needs to be towable with ability to nose onto the beach.

Okay, sounds like a runabout in the 18 foot range is appropriate. I/O (
Inboard/outboard), 140 horsepower or more would be great. Single axel
trailer is probably sufficient.

We would need to handle 1-8 guests/crew. Guests/crew would need
refreshments and a bathroom and shade from the sun.

8 would be pushing it for comfort on the boat. Shade would be easy, but not
for all 8 at the same time (typical bimini top shades only the driver and
passenger seat).

The bathroom requirement is where things get unrealistic. You can get a
boat that has a small cabin that could be equipped with a porta-potty, but
then I would not recommend this boat for pulling tubes, and certainly not
for skiing. Are you familiar with the term "Checking the prop" ???

Finally, for now, I can't afford the idea let alone an actual purchase!

Buy used. Three to five years old. The chances are that you won't be
satisfied with your first boat, so don't plan on keeping it forever. Buy
something that is new enough that you won't be having major troubles with
the engine but old enough that it doesn't depreciate significantly the
instant you have signed on the dotted line. Get the boat, use it and
establish what your real needs and desires are. Sell the used boat a year
later and buy what you really need.

I know nothing of boston whalers except they have a really cool name and
the one comment I saw tells me I can't afford a boston whaler.

A Boston Whaler is a great fishing boat. It wouldn't be on my list for a
ski boat.

So, which boats (for a northern california fresh water lake) should I be
looking into?

Unfortunately you have missed the boat shows, which would allow you to look
at a bunch of different boats in one stop. Start visiting boat dealers.
Figure out a brand and model that you like and then start looking for a
similar boat that is a few years old. If you know what you are looking for
then http://www.boattraderonline.com/ is a great place to search for used
boats in your area.

If you are really not sure then I would try searching your list of friends
and acquaintances and seeing if you can work out an invite to go with them
on a weekend. You may decide that sitting in a boat all day is really
boring, or you may decide that speed is king! At any rate, going with
someone will at least introduce you to the process of launching the boat,
basic boat handling, etc.

Rod McInnis