John Smith

Default A boat for my family?

Thanks for the great info!

JS

John wrote:
We were looking for the same thing last summer. I love fishing, but my wife
and daughters wanted tubing, skiing, etc. We ended up with a 19' Regal. We
run mostly in Tampa Bay, but I have been out on several fresh water lakes in
the area. It handles six adults comfortably for tubing and with the 4.3
Liter V6 we can get our skiiers up. The heaviest is 175lbs. The only things
I don't like about the boat are it has non removable carpet over a glass
covered wood deck. If you do fish, I recommend looking for removable carpet.
We have seen several with snap in carpet on all glass decks. This makes
clean up much easier after fishing, especially if any of the fish bleed on
the boat. The other issue is this boat has what the manufacturer calls a
"FastTrac" hull. It makes handling great, but wreaks havoc with the depth
finder at anything over 15 MPH. This can be a problem in some areas of
Tampa Bay with sand bars and tide changes. You have to make sure you are
familiar with the area you're boating in and double check often prior to
jetting around.
"Dan Krueger" wrote in message
hlink.net...

If you want top of the line...

http://www.cobaltboats.com/model_line/240sd/index.html

Whatever you buy, make sure you have a local dealer who can service the

boat and

engine.

Dan

John Smith wrote:

My wife and kids are bugging me about a boat.

I know nothing of boats and even less about which brands/models are
worth my search time.

I would take my kids tubing and fishing on a nearby freshwater lake. The
boat needs to be towable with ability to nose onto the beach.

We would need to handle 1-8 guests/crew. Guests/crew would need
refreshments and a bathroom and shade from the sun.

Towing inner tubers and skiiers is the primary use. Fishing is
definitely a likelihood, but a low priority.

Finally, for now, I can't afford the idea let alone an actual purchase!

I know nothing of boston whalers except they have a really cool name and
the one comment I saw tells me I can't afford a boston whaler.

So, which boats (for a northern california fresh water lake) should I be
looking into?

Thanks,

JS