Douglas St. Clair

Default Freeze Plugs Popped

I have a 427 Crusader in a 1970 Century Resorter. Over the last two winters
two 1 3/4" brass plugs have popped out from under the engine block and were
found sitting in the bilge. Last year I simply pushed them back into place
and the boat ran fine.

Are these so-called "freeze plugs"? Both winters the boat's been winterized
as usual. Should I be concerned about these plugs popping out? Should I do
something to secure them in place so they won't pop out while the boat is
running?

Thanks!

Calif Bill

"Douglas St. Clair" wrote in message
I have a 427 Crusader in a 1970 Century Resorter. Over the last two

winters
two 1 3/4" brass plugs have popped out from under the engine block and

were
found sitting in the bilge. Last year I simply pushed them back into

place
and the boat ran fine.

Are these so-called "freeze plugs"? Both winters the boat's been

winterized
as usual. Should I be concerned about these plugs popping out? Should I

do
something to secure them in place so they won't pop out while the boat is
running?

Thanks!

Yes, they are "Freeze Plugs". Named because they froze them to install, not
because they protect the block when water freezes. Go to a good auto parts
store and buy a couple of new plugs. They are not reusable. They will run
you a buck or two each. Then you drive them into the hole. Add a small
amout of Permatex sealant on the edges before driving.
Bill

trainfan1

Calif Bill wrote:

Go to a good auto parts
store and buy a couple of new plugs. They are not reusable. They will run
you a buck or two each. Then you drive them into the hole. Add a small
amout of Permatex sealant on the edges before driving.
Bill

Go to a ship's store or engine builder - you need brass freeze plugs
for your marine engine.

If they come out while under way, your bilge can fill pretty fast.

Rob

Calif Bill

"trainfan1" wrote in message
Calif Bill wrote:

Go to a good auto parts
store and buy a couple of new plugs. They are not reusable. They will

run
you a buck or two each. Then you drive them into the hole. Add a small
amout of Permatex sealant on the edges before driving.
Bill

Go to a ship's store or engine builder - you need brass freeze plugs
for your marine engine.

If they come out while under way, your bilge can fill pretty fast.

Rob

Any decent autoparts store carries brass ones. They are all by the same
company. Brain fade at the moment. Come in the orange drawer units.
Bill

Jim Kelly

They are not frozen prior to installation. They are stamped metal (either brass or steel) and have a
slight outward taper on the sides. They are driven in and the taper retains them.

These plugs are commonly referred to as freeze plugs because they will pop out if the coolant freezes.
This however is not their purpose. They are actually core hole plugs and they seal the holes left when
the core supports are removed after the casting process. The core is used to to form the internal
passages in the block and is removed during the shake out after the casting cools.

Gene Kearns wrote:

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 00:25:33 GMT, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

"Douglas St. Clair" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Assuming your specious explanation is so..... should he freeze them
first?

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/ Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillageinn.com/directions.asp Where Southport,NC is located.
http://www.southharbourvillageinn.linksysnet.com Real Time Pictures at My Marina
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats Rec.boats at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

Calif Bill

wrote:

[...]

Does make them easier to get started. Years ago, when I worked in a garage
in the high school years. we used the CO2 fire extinguisher. Just throw
them in the freezer for an hour or so and the will shrink. What I did when
I raced cars and had to build the engines. They are actually the core plug
holes for the sand cores of casting the block.

Removing Spark Plugs???? Ernie General 8 December 4th 03 11:36 PM
Merc Spark Plugs Removal Ernie General 0 November 6th 03 02:12 PM
Changing Spark Plugs Mercury 4 Stroke Engine Ernie General 0 October 7th 03 04:01 AM
Platinum plugs Frank Taylor, Jr. General 5 October 6th 03 02:32 AM
Loose spark plugs? Me General 0 August 17th 03 10:16 PM